Counterfit windows

Daiol 07:57 03 Jul 2006

HI,I have found out that my windows xp pro is a copy,it was privatly built for me and the guy who built it has gone bankrupt.Anyway has anyone purchased a product key from microsoft for the price of £92-00p.If so can you please tell me the procedure involved is it very complicated etc,could you run me through the way its done if you dont mind.Thanks daiol.

strech 08:19 03 Jul 2006

seems a bit exspensive £92 why not buy home xp
disc £60

rezeeg 09:08 03 Jul 2006

XP Home (oem) c/w mouse £56.98 click here

Daiol 09:11 03 Jul 2006

Hi thanks for your prompt reply.Iv'e been looking at this oem for xp pro which i already have installed.
Link=click here
What would you say to that one than.Daiol.

ventanas 09:48 03 Jul 2006

Illegal to install this. Only available to certified system builders with a new PC

click here

You must buy retail.

rezeeg 10:07 03 Jul 2006

XP Pro (oem) c/w mouse £92.81 click here

Spark6 10:12 03 Jul 2006

Your link provides details of authorised MS distributors of OEM operating systems. Ebuyer are not on the UK list.

Does this mean that they should be 'reported'?

spuds 10:21 03 Jul 2006

There's a little bit of confusion regarding Microsoft's stance on this matter. At one point, Microsoft agreed that they would provide a replacement genuine free copy of XP, for anyone caught up in a possibly counterfeit purchase from a 'retailer' source. This free replacement was discontinued in the UK (for some unknown reason), yet in the USA and certain other places, this offer is still available. Call me a cynic, by why is it, that this offer is still active, except to purchasers here in the UK.Perhaps the PCA or the FE could investigate this discrepancy.

Having said that, then the easy remedy would be to buy a genuine oem copy from a recognized dealer like Ebuyer or Novatech, and re-install that on the computer. So giving you a clean bill of health.

As a point of curiosity, how do you know the XP Pro that you have or is installed, a fake?.

spuds 10:25 03 Jul 2006

Ebuyer are not Microsoft 'official' distributors, they are resellers or retailers of the product. Very similar to Novatech and many more companies in the computer industry.

woodchip 10:30 03 Jul 2006

Ho Hell we have gone back to Court again. Involved in Microsoft's Will We Wont We Problem. Who make you Microsoft's police.

Daiol
Go get it and install it.

We are in for another long Thread about Legalities

ezypcy 10:37 03 Jul 2006

I believe that some pc's running genuine XP operating systems are showing up as 'illegal'.
Now would it be illegal for that user to run the WGA
(Windows Genuine Advantage ) crack,which I read was
circulating on the net the day after the initial
release of the WGA test?
When this happens so readily how can MS deal with
similar problems regarding the new Vista OS!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?