Could you recommend a printer please

bof:) 14:41 23 Sep 2006

Hi all,

after 7 years of working faithfully my father-in-laws Epson stylus printer has given up the ghost.

(after trying ink flush and many head cleans we can no longer get all colours and the black to print all the time...we think the printer heads have gone)

He is looking for a printer that he can use to print photo's he scans onto his pc.

He would obviously like to keep ink cost down to a minimum, so I think seperate ink colour cartridges may be his best option.

If anyone knows of a printer that is reasonably priced £40-£80, (or as close as you can get) that is easy to use could they please let me know.

Many thanks,

Mike

zimacs 15:19 23 Sep 2006

Hi Mike
I bought a Canon Pixma iP4000 earlier this year. It prints well for photos and text; and prints on all media including CD's/DVD's. It has a very intuitive interface. When I bought it, it was about £109; but there have been newer Canon models brought out with bells and whistles, so with a search you could get this model a lot cheaper - I think.

LABMAN 16:41 23 Sep 2006

Hi Mike,

Why not stick with Epson and go for something like the D88 or a photo quality R245, at least they shouldn't be to differnet from his old one to operate.

pj123 18:07 23 Sep 2006

I have 2 Epson R220 printers. High quality photo printer. Also prints direct to CD/DVD (using printable media).

6 separate ink cartridges. Cheap to run.

I get compatible ink and good Instant Dry Glossy paper from Choice Stationery.

click here

and

click here

Jim Thing 18:17 23 Sep 2006

I agree with pj123. My Epson R220 cost me about £70 from PCW and it's an excellent photo printer. I also buy ink from Choice Stationery, who are well recommended by others on this forum.
Last time they had a special offer I bought 5x black and 12x colour (i.e. 2 sets of 6)for less than £40.

Jim Thing 18:23 23 Sep 2006

I print direct to CD/DVD quite a lot. The R220 does a splendid job and is very easy to use. It has to be — I'm 77 and a bit thick...

bof:) 12:33 25 Sep 2006

Hi all, thankyou very much for your suggestions.

I'll show them to my father-in-law and let him choose which one he likes the best.

thankyou all again,

Mike

^wave^ 17:00 25 Sep 2006

hp8250 a bit pricey but what great pics and it is cheap to run

bof:) 18:26 29 Sep 2006

Hi all, father-in-law purchased an Epson R220 this afternoon. Tried it out...very impressed.

many thanks for all of your help,

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017