Could not connect to remote server

Pesala 10:23 01 Jul 2004

I am having so many problems with NTL Cable broadband. Every other time I try to follow a link, I get the above error message. If I try again I can usually connect OK. What is causing this?

I reinstalled Windows ME, but the problem persists. Now I am reinstalling Broadband Medic because that no longer works, unlike all my other programs.

Lozzy 11:01 01 Jul 2004

One of your main issues is Win ME I would strongly suggest upgrading.

NTL BB is good and there are no know issues with that ISP. The issue is Win ME. To many bugs in it to mention.

Pesala 11:45 01 Jul 2004

but there again, I wasn't having these problems two weeks ago, so it is hard to say that this problem is down to ME, and not due to NTL maintenance work or some other reason. Upgrading my OS is not something I would normally do until I need a new PC in a year or two.

I have ordered an ethernet card as NTL engineers said that my frequent dropped connections were most likely caused by my USB link to the modem. Although I am still using USB, the connection is no longer dropping at all, but I get a different problem of not being able to connect to the server first time.

Pages often load very slowly too. My status line currently reads: Document 22Kb, Images 27/27, Speed 2.4KB/s Time 14:23 completed request to ad.uk.doubleclick.net. That is, the current page hasn't finished loading yet. Got another "could not connect to remote server" message on trying to post this. Thir time lucky?

Pesala 11:46 01 Jul 2004

but there again, I wasn't having these problems two weeks ago, so it is hard to say that this problem is down to ME, and not due to NTL maintenance work or some other reason. Upgrading my OS is not something I would normally do until I need a new PC in a year or two.

I have ordered an ethernet card as NTL engineers said that my frequent dropped connections were most likely caused by my USB link to the modem. Although I am still using USB, the connection is no longer dropping at all, but I get a different problem of not being able to connect to the server first time.

Pages often load very slowly too. My status line currently reads: Document 22Kb, Images 27/27, Speed 2.4KB/s Time 14:23 completed request to ad.uk.doubleclick.net. That is, the current page hasn't finished loading yet. Got another "could not connect to remote server" message on trying to post this. Thir time lucky? Take four.

€dstowe 11:53 01 Jul 2004

I'm getting a lot of timeout messages on this site today - mainly to the doubleclick and, a new one to me, industrybrains. Irritating to say the least.

Chegs ® 12:00 01 Jul 2004

I use the PC Pitstop "Autofix" to speed up my ADSL.I also have started using "Dr TCP" to alter my RWIN and MTU,this has improved my gaming 70% Windows often gets it wrong (for these settings)although XP has been easier to maintain a reliable connection than 98se was.Any troubles with poor performance relating to PCA are usually unavoidable and beyond tweaking help. ;-)

dagwoood 12:54 01 Jul 2004

I agree with Chegs ® in that altering the RWIN value can give you a more stable connection.

The cannot connect to server issue is most probably a fault with the server your trying to access or internet "congestion".

As to getting around poor performance with regards to PCA site, I have improved the page load speeds!!

I use Firefox as my browser and you can download a plugin for this called Adblock(per Valvegrids advice). This gives you the option to block permanently items(be it scripts or images)that appear on pages. I've set mine to not load items relating to doubleclick, industrybrains and vibrant media and now pages load smoothly and quicker.(Firefox is faster than I.E. with my system/connection. This is the case with most other Firefox users).

Hope this helps, dagwoood.

Pesala 21:42 01 Jul 2004

Definitely looks like a network problem rather than a problem with my PC. Running at normal speed now, and no more disconnection problems like before, for the time being at least. Looking forward to the promised upgrade to 300 K.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache