Could this Network be mine?

cowgirl66 19:23 04 Oct 2008

Hi,

I am on Sky Broadband and am using a wireless router but it isn't in fact "wireless," because it is connected to the computer with an ethernet cable.

However my next door neighbour alarmed me somewhat this evening when he told me that his son is setting up his new wireless laptop, and on getting it set up he found that the settings had discovered a 'Sky Network.'

Can I rule out the fact that this is my Network he has cottoned on to?

Only sometimes I get two networks, one private and one public on my computer which prevent me from connecting to my ISP. Could this be relevant? Hope someone can advise me on this as it is worrying.

Regards, cowgirl66

Technotiger 19:36 04 Oct 2008

No, cannot be ruled out, better check your Security!

I am afraid I am not competent enough to advise fully - but no doubt others will come to your assistance.

brundle 19:36 04 Oct 2008

If the wireless network element of the router hasn't been disabled then it's perfectly possible, I imagine Sky ship them with it enabled. Access the router config and turn wireless off.

grey george 19:37 04 Oct 2008

If you switch your router off does you neighbours laptop lose the network? If you are using a cable to connect you maybe able to switch the wireless side of the router off. Go to the routers home page and look at the options.

grey george 19:42 04 Oct 2008

"brundle snap"

cowgirl66 type this in to your browser address bar it should take you to your routers home page
it should have a password set, but if you have not set it up it may just be "admin"

brundle 19:45 04 Oct 2008

admin/sky for sky routers

Graham. 20:01 04 Oct 2008

For Sky router.

cowgirl66 20:04 04 Oct 2008

Hi everybody and first of all thank you for your quick responses.

I am not at all familiar with Wireless routers either, nor how to configure them; which is why I have chosen always to remain connected with the ethernet cable. I mistakenly thought that if this option was chosen I would not get any problem with security. I did know, though, that if one is using a router 'wirelessly', then one should at all times use a password.

Brundle,,
Where do I go to find the router's configuration?

grey george,,
When I type in that IP address you gave me I get the Google page with topics about the 192.168.1.1

Graham. 20:05 04 Oct 2008

Then 'Set up, Wireless Settings, uncheck 'Enable Wireless ...'

cowgirl66 20:15 04 Oct 2008

Graham,,

Thank you for that IP address, I remember it now and have accessed all the info using Sky's default logon.

You say to take the tick out of 'Enable Wireless Access Point?' But the notes refering to this on the righthand side say that if this is unchecked I won't be able to access the internet. Is that right?

brundle 20:19 04 Oct 2008

It won't affect wired connections at all. Untick it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?