Could I have the wrong sound driver installed?

TommyRed 17:31 20 Sep 2003

From my previous thread which was unresolved, I had drivers incl sound fitted by a local shop, but there is some noise when playing music or games. The driver that's been fitted is a ' SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio' driver but I've checked the motherboard manufacturer's site (MSI) and for a MSI-6183 you need a Creative ES-1373 sound driver, can someone confirm this is correct as I can download it for 98SE. Also, in case everything goes pear shaped how can I save the other driver to re-use if needed? Thanks TR

Djohn 17:45 20 Sep 2003

click here For msi 6183 sound driver info. click here for the msi6183 board manual, then click on download, choose open, [It's an acrobat file] then click on the first Icon and page one says, "Sound Driver is Creative ES 1373".

I would go with that one as being correct. j.

Djohn 17:51 20 Sep 2003

click here For info. on the [SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio' driver] j.

Djohn 17:58 20 Sep 2003

To save the driver you have at the moment, go to windows explorer/all programs, and you should be able to see the folder with the files inside. Save this folder to desktop then un-install from add/remove programs, [I think that's where it will be in 98se.]. Install new driver and if it's OK then bin the old one, if not, remove and re-install your current one. j.

TommyRed 18:55 20 Sep 2003

Djohn, get the following error message "Unhandled Exception. Error Number: 0x80040702 Description: Failed to load dll.adminchk Setup will now terminate" from add/remove programs and after SoundMAX file is moved to desktop. TR

Djohn 19:05 20 Sep 2003

Not sure on this message. I've had a look at reference to "Error Number: 0x80040702" and it's causes but can't quite fit it to sound drivers in particular. Need some more help with this one please from anyone that knows the answer. j.

TommyRed 20:13 20 Sep 2003

Djohn, can the existing driver be removed in device manager by right clicking and choosing 'remove'? Also how do I install the new one from a zipped file? TR

TommyRed 20:43 20 Sep 2003

refresh

TommyRed 21:42 20 Sep 2003

Tried to remove it from device manager and run the install for the new driver but that just freezes 18% in and the wizard searches, finds and installs the driver I'm trying to get rid of, any ideas? TR

TommyRed 10:29 21 Sep 2003

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?