Could this be a virus?

Paul669 20:46 07 Jan 2008

My mother has just told me that earlier she got a pop-up message saying her computer was infected and that she should download a program to remove said infection. Foolishly she did, following all instructions until presented with a charge of £39. At this point she says she turned off the computer.
Is this likely to be just an attempt to extract money or could she have downloaded an actual virus onto her computer?
She has AVG free antivirus installed and I've told her to run a scan. Are there any other programs recomended that she could use to check?
Many thanks.

skidzy 20:50 07 Jan 2008
  Paul669 20:52 07 Jan 2008

Thanks Skidzy.

SANTOS7 20:55 07 Jan 2008

Not so much a virus but Spy/malware, an intrusion to get you to download and run the prog advertised only yo find you need to buy it before it will remove what it has detected.
scan your Pc with any spy/malware progs you have or use some of the progs in skidzs's exellent link...

birdface 21:40 07 Jan 2008

Tell your mum not to open it.Just like Santos said a rogue program only wanting money from you.If you could actually get the name of the program it may be easier to get a fix for it. It sounds like Virtuemonde but might be a little difficult to remove.

birdface 22:02 07 Jan 2008

Hi Paul I am not saying this is what your Mum has on her computer but worth a look.And don't use any of the tools unless someone say's thats the one to use.click here

Paul669 08:20 08 Jan 2008

Thanks all. Unfortunately she can't remember the name of the program.

Technotiger 08:29 08 Jan 2008

My next door neighbour experienced the same thing yesterday evening, although she initially clicked on 'something' (she did not know what) she had not tried to download anything, though she had received dire warnings of doom if she did not download some software to 'get rid of' the nasty etc etc. She instead came and asked me what to do, so I went to her PC and simply held in the Start-up button on the front of tower for four seconds to switch off PC - waited 30 seconds then re-started ... the nasties had completed gone and she was able to continue what she was doing as normal. She was very happy - and I got a Big Kiss!!

Technotiger 09:05 08 Jan 2008

Ooops, just noticed - completed, should read completely ......

birdface 10:29 08 Jan 2008

This from another thread this morning.Same problem but may be a different threat.click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone