Could this be a conflict in Hardware or Power Prob

Demora 09:51 23 May 2007

Hi.
The System
AMD Athlon 3400 64 processor
Winfast Motherboard. Maxtor 200gigSATA Hdd, 1Gb DDR Ram.
ATI Radeon 1300 GFX card (AGP). DVD Ram ReRW. Liteon DVD RW. 500w PSU. Creative SB Audigy 2 Platium ex. Varius USB devices printer scanner. MS keyboard and Logitech mouse.
Win XP Pro.

Problem

Everymorning I turn pc on and have to reboot as the thing locks up. Betst way I can get the thing going is if I totaqlly drain all power from the system ie removing power plug and disconnecting from mains.

I know that the motherboard is a cheapie and wondering if its on its way out. Also if I install new Hardware/software these things happen for about 10 days then it settles down and behaves.

The hard drive is fine. Windows is kept updated and virus checks are done daily.

I also have diskeeper on there as I had a MFT.

Pointers would suggest that becasue the GFX card is on the same power cable as the Hdd. That someways its stooping the hdd from booting.
Its driving me nuts

TIA
D

recap 11:33 23 May 2007

Doing a Google I came across the free download click here for testing hardware and the motherboard.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:31 23 May 2007

HDD not always detected in BIOS
As drives get older, they can take longer to get up to speed and become ready (available). This can then exceed the time it takes for the booting to look for the drive - so it doesn't find it.
The solution is often to make the initial part of the boot take longer, by disabling "Quick power on self test and/or making the system look for the floppy drive first by enabling "floppy seek".
Some BIOS even have a facility to put in a delay before the hard disk is checked.

Demora 09:06 05 Jun 2007

Hi.
Well after much messing and testing I managed to re-install Win XP Pro and have a clean system. I don't know what the problem WAS BUT it had to be something in Windows.

Everythings seems to be running fine. 14 hours of running yesterday and not a glitch.

Thank you for advice and pointers.

D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?