Cost of telephone extensions

babcia 13:36 13 Oct 2008

Hi
I am hoping to move into a newly built house very soon. I noticed on looking around that there are telephone sockets in most rooms. Whilst the luxury of having a telephone socket in the lounge and Bedroom 1 look like being a necessity (for Sky) I am wondering what the cost would be if BT activated extra sockets e.g. in the study and kitchen or is there a way of doing this on a diy basis?
Many thanks in advance

anchor 14:07 13 Oct 2008

I really have no idea what BT would charge, but knowing how much BT charge for other home services, I feel sure it would be quite expensive.

I bought a pair of BT Studio 1100 cordless phones, which work wonderfully. One handset is plugged into the main phone socket, the other is in our conservatory. Many other similar models and brands are available if you look.

click here

Pineman100 14:11 13 Oct 2008

If the telephone sockets already exist in most rooms, don't they work already? If not, they seem a bit pointless.

However, as anchor has said, modern DECT phones make extension sockets redundant. You can put phones all over the house - all communicating wirelessly with a centrally located base station.

Technotiger 14:12 13 Oct 2008

DIY even cheaper ... click here

tullie 14:19 13 Oct 2008

You dont need to bother about sky multiroom,they will sort that bhen they install the other equpment.

babcia 14:21 13 Oct 2008

WOW! Technotiger - thanks!!!!!!!!! It looks as if I only need BT to activate one socket and then I can use DECT Wireless Phoneline Extender to provide the second line for the SKY box in Bed 1.

Then, as 'anchor' and Pineman100' both suggested, I can use DECT phone in the study.

Anyone see any problem with this?

Thanks for the great help.

john bunyan 14:23 13 Oct 2008

Only 4 sockets are reccomended. You can buy up to 25 metre thin extention cables in the likes of
B&Q if you need a wired extension. Dont forget filters if using one for a PC on broadband.

babcia 14:26 13 Oct 2008

Hi tullie
Can you expand on your comment? How do SKY sort it. I was under the impression that the customer had to provide a working telephone line for each SKY box.

Stuartli 15:09 13 Oct 2008

Providing you have the necessary phone sockets, you can use several wireless DECT phones (even from different makes providing they are GAP compatible) round your home.

I use a BT Freestyle 650 (which includes an answerphone) as the main phone and a Philips CD130 upstairs; our BT Response 50 answerphone had given up the ghost after around 25 years' use.

I bought the Freestyle 650 as it was £5 cheaper than BT's own Response 75 Answerphone only model, along with the Philips (acquired a few weeks ago), from a local discount bargains outlet, which regularly sells models which have recently/just been discontinued.

Latest offer is a BT Graphite 1100 Single at £16.99 (£30 at Argos).

babcia 17:54 13 Oct 2008

Thank you all for your (money-saving) advice.

Pineman100 18:07 13 Oct 2008

If you want to watch Sky in more than one room, you don't have to pay for a multi-room subscription.

You could use one of these: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?