cost per sheet of laser versus ink jet?

rbrtsmrvll6 20:35 30 Oct 2003

I am a teacher and have been asked by my head teacher to find out the relative costs per sheet of using a laser or an ink jet printer. He would like the comparison for both colour and monochrome printing. We are looking at quite modest lasers, about ?500 for a colour one.

Does anyone have any idea where to find this information?

Socalled 21:08 30 Oct 2003
  Socalled 21:12 30 Oct 2003
  rbrtsmrvll6 22:05 30 Oct 2003

Thanks Socalled. There was a whole lot of info about relative prices of printers in your first answer and I should be able to find out how many sheets a cartridge of ink or toner might be expected to produce.

I just hoped that somebody else had done the calculations or knew where to look for the answer. I might find that one of the laser manufacturers has done the calculations.

I had trouble downloading your second answer but, now that I have, I find that this is the answer that I was looking for.

Thanks for your help.

Kalb 22:32 30 Oct 2003

Try the PCA magazine ! The top ten charts for Colour injet & Mono laser printers always provide the cost of ink or toner and the print life/pages for each printer. However there are problems with the quoted figures......for example my Brother Laser HL1240 is quoted on the toner cartridge as delivering 3000 A4 pages at 5% ! Does the print on a close text on A4 cover 5% ? Clearly a black and white graphic diagram with shading & hatching will be more than 5%. In general my view is that a good laser printer will be cheaper to run than a good ink jet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?