Corsair memory query

Happy37 07:54 16 Sep 2008

Hello everyone

I have got an Asrock P4V88 motherboard running Windows XP SP3 with a P4 Pentium 3.2 Ghz processor - all patches and updates applied etc...

Link:-

click here

My query is this:-

I have already got 2GB of Corsair memory installed, as below:-

click here

I am going to add another 1GB either today or tomorrow, namely this piece of Corsair kit:-

click here

Is the above the correct one, keeping in mind the theory about dual-channel and pairs on the Asrock motherboard, or should I have gone for this other one instead? - please see link below...

I notice that there is a CAS latency/timings difference between the two pieces of kit...what difference does this make?

click here

What do you all think? - please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Happy37 10:02 16 Sep 2008

^
bump

Happy37 18:12 16 Sep 2008

bump

Anyone?

MAT ALAN 18:31 16 Sep 2008

click here

use the upgrade advisor from the link, it will tell you exactly what memory you have and what you can upgrade to..
you can buy from here (lifetime guarantee) and safe in the knowledge you are going to get exactly what you want...

Happy37 20:32 16 Sep 2008

MAT ALAN

Thanks for your reply...in response, here goes:-

1. Have just tried the Crucial memory tool, and it reports that there is no memory installed!!!
Is there an alternative tool that I can use or not?

2. I have already installed an extra 1GB of Corsair memory...link:-

click here(9842)Corsair-Value-Select-1GB-DDR---PC3200-memory.aspx

but my system went into an endless cycle of reboots, so I removed the 1GB modules so that only 2GB memory remained, and all was well.

3. I notice that there is a CAS latency/timings difference between the two pieces of kit...what difference does this make?

4. Finally, do you think that memory from Crucial is better than Corsair as I have never had any trouble from my other P4 2.4 Ghz PC that is running on 2GB of Crucial memory?

Please advise accordingly.

Thanks again for your help.

Happy37 20:41 16 Sep 2008

MAT ALAN

Sorry, above link should read:-

click here

citadel 21:33 16 Sep 2008

2g is plenty for xp. you will probably see no difference if you add another 1g. if you must add more just get exactly the same type as you have now.

Happy37 08:30 17 Sep 2008

Update - having added the 1GB of memory from link:-

click here

My system went into an endless cycle of reboots, so I removed the 1GB modules so that only 2GB memory remained, and all was well.

Which memory modules should I have added...i.e which ones is/are the correct ones?

Do you all also think that 2GB is more than enough for Windows XP Pro, as I have been told previously that I will probably see no difference if I did add another 1GB of RAM???

Is this correct? - or should I just return the 1GB kit that I bought and just get another 2GB kit to "up" the RAM to 4GB?

Happy37 09:23 17 Sep 2008

bump

Anyone?

Any1 11:51 17 Sep 2008

First off your motherboard has 4 slots for a max of 4GB and you do not have to install the memory in pairs. From what i am showing it does not even support dual channel mode and even if it did the difference that it makes is quite small and unless you are really seeking to get every last drop out of your system it is not even worth your time to consider it. You can mix and match modules as you like.

It looks like one of those modules you ordered is bad, take out all the RAM and just try one stick at a time and see what happens. CL settings shouldnt make any difference if you are already running PC3200 modules at the moment.

It depends on what you are using your system for, if you are doing video/music editing or the like i would definitely recommend going with the max. If you are just doing light surfing, emailing then i think 2GB is fine for XP.

If you still have issues with the RAM go with these guys they know what they are doing and have great prices on RAM that is guaranteed with a lifetime warranty. They also have a scan my system tool to detect what RAM you have in at the moment.

click here --

Happy37 13:32 17 Sep 2008

Any1

Thanks for your detailed response - I think that my system is running in Dual-Channel mode as it says that in the BIOS as well as the opening boot-up screen when the PC starts?

(I might be wrong, so please feel free to correct me...)

I have already arranged for the new kit to be returned to where I purchased that from, and will get a refund anyway.

After this, I think that I will leave the PC running with 2GB ot RAM, mind you, is there really any noticeable difference in having 3 or 4GB as opposed to 2GB...will the PC be a whole lot faster or not?

To finish, thanks for the link that you have given...I will be sure to use that to check out my PC...any problems/further queries, I'll post back.

Thanks again.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?