Corrupted Taskbar Properties box?

coinneach 19:32 06 Apr 2006

Following infection of my PC (WinXP) and successful removal of the worm [email protected], all my systray icons disappeared. I restored them by disabling Universal Plug & Play (recommended by Tech-Pro), but the drop-down menus in the Notification Area section of Taskbar & Start Menu Properties no longer work, each one locked on Hide when Inactive. Can anyone suggest a fix, please?

coinneach

rawprawn 19:35 06 Apr 2006
  coinneach 11:06 07 Apr 2006

Thanks for that, rawprawn. Kelly certainly removed the unwanted Past items (which included one of the worm's offensive icons), but unfortunately the drop-down menus for the current items still fail to work. This problem doesn't seem to be adressed by Kelly. Any further offers?

coinneach

rawprawn 12:23 07 Apr 2006

Start/run/type sfc /scannow (exactly like that), you will need your XP CD

coinneach 17:15 07 Apr 2006

You won't believe this, but I did a full Error Check on my hard drive and everything came right thereafter, but it didn't tell me what it had changed (if anything)!

Your tip about sfc was very welcome, because I had wanted to use it, but I was failng to put a space between sfc and /, so the computer didn't respond.

Thanks a lot for your help.

coinneach

rawprawn 17:40 07 Apr 2006

Glad you are sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?