Corrupted photo files - why??

simoncini 13:29 07 Sep 2010

Here's my huge problem: Windows 7 64-bit, Elements 6, Photoshop CS5, Windows viewers and Irfanview all give messages that a large number of my photo files (JPEG, RAW, TIF etc.) are "invalid" or such. I have used a HEX editor and found that all the corrupted photos consist of zeroes, despite the otherwise correct data regarding extension, size and so on. A huge search of the net has shown no solution to a seemingly common problem. All the photos are on my C drive, as well as being frequently backed up to an external hard disc (where the files are also corrupted). The corruption started on the C drive, with no obvious cause - I have checked the event log and done a full virus scan. Zilch.
Help!!!!!!!!!

grey george 20:45 07 Sep 2010

I had a similar problem with word documents the cause was a failing hard drive losing clusters. It may well be worth backing up all your current data and verifying and testing the back up. If the hex editor shows all zeros then there is no data present so sadly little chance of recovery unless they are still on the camera flash card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?