corrupted passwords in Thunderbird?

coinneach 20:52 18 Jul 2006

I have TB v 1.5.0.4 and have been operating satisfactorily on BT Broadband for 2 years. I've been persuaded to upgrade to BT Total Broadband which is much faster and enables me to network another PC on the same desk (wired).
Problem: since the upgrade I've been unable to send or receive emails and my passwords are persistently rejected (I haven't changed them). Furthermore, the View Saved Password box does not respond so I can neither see nor change my passwords.
Help please, I'm desperate!

coinneach

mgmcc 21:18 18 Jul 2006

Go into Account Settings and change your Username (add a "1" to the end or something) and click OK. Attempt to check mail and you'll be prompted to enter your Password. Click "Cancel". Go back into Account settings and set the Username back to the correct one and, when you check for mail, you should again be prompted for your Password and can enter the "correct" one.

coinneach 16:07 19 Jul 2006

Thanks for your response mgmcc.
I've tried your suggestion several times without success. (I assume the Username you refer to is the one in Server Settings).
This problem is quite sinister. I have a second PC with TB installed and when I click on View Saved Passwords, it responds with my 2 accounts and a link to my passwords. Clicking on VSP in the main PC brings no response at all.
This suggests a corrupted file but a reinstallation of TB didn't cure the problem. I now wonder whether BT with their newly introduced firewall and spyware software are creating some kind of conflict with TB.
coinneach

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?