Corrupted JPEG Images?

dublincity 09:57 17 Feb 2005

After getting my PC sorted out following a crash, I find that a high proportion of my 3,600 graphics (mainly photographs) appear to have become corrupted. Curiously, those that were in a WinZipped, password-protected folder are all safe - they have been found in a plain, non-password-protected folder. The Summary tab of the Properties boxes of all these openable graphics all show the usual technical data.

The Summary tab of the Properties boxes of all the unopenable pics (total c. 40 MB's) says 'Summary properties are unavailable for the selected source(s)'. When using the Ask Jeeves Desktop Search Engine, the message 'File no longer exists' appears for the corrupted JPEG's.

Given that c. 40 MB's is still there, does anybody know how these pics might be repaired and restored? Many Thanks.

WillyDR 13:13 17 Feb 2005

I've had a similar experience after deleting by accident graphic files and I screwed up the undelete move which I did afterwards...

Someone indicated to me that the individual file information/header was corrupted and therefore, I could not recover them. This would explain why the file size is still there.

I still keep a folder with the corrupted files in the hope that one day I'll find a solution....
I would be glad to hear such a good news !

dublincity 13:22 17 Feb 2005

Thanks for the comments. I went to the archives of this forum and couldn't find any solution. Somebody - with a similar problem - suggested changing the file type from .jpeg to .jpg. I wouldn't have a clue how to do that ..........

Confab 13:27 17 Feb 2005

Try badCopy Pro or WinUndelete from click here

You can donload the trial version of both progs and you will be able to see if the files can be recovered.

Confab 13:28 17 Feb 2005

sorry for the typo's

Confab 13:32 17 Feb 2005

You can download WinUndelete from click here

Yoda Knight 13:39 17 Feb 2005

"Somebody - with a similar problem - suggested changing the file type from .jpeg to .jpg"
make a new directory on c: with a short name, eg c:\pics. copy all the files into it. go start, run, cmd & press enter. in dos type the following: cd\pics (press enter) ren *.jpeg *.jpg (press enter) exit (press enter). that will rename them, but wether that will help I dont know

dublincity 15:13 17 Feb 2005

Thanks - I've just installed both BadCopy Pro & WinUndelete and am about to try them.

wee eddie 15:28 17 Feb 2005

that what had corrupted was the allocation to a particular program.

The solution was to change the .jpg's Program allocation > to "Open With" Explorer > Reboot the PC > Reallocate to "Open With" the original program > Reboot again.

Confab 15:35 17 Feb 2005

You could also try this click here
but I have no experience of this software

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires