Corrupt Win XP - recovering files?

Sir Radfordin 13:30 15 Apr 2005

I've been passed a laptop that no longer boots into Windows without BSOD even in Safe Mode. It is now saying that the hard drive is about to fail so backup the data. Sadly the user didn't follow my previous instructions to backup on a weekly basis.

I can get it to boot into MS DOS and can connect it to a network but am unable to access either of the drive partitions to copy over the data.

Found an old ghost boot disk which has enabled me to create several 2gb ghost files but sadly I no longer have the rest of the ghost install to be able to explore them. I very much doubt I'll be able to ghost the files to another drive and be able to access them. Any suggestions on that one?

Any other suggestions? Have a strong feeling that the primary partition was FAT with the second one being NTFS (which is where the data is!)

Any other recovery ideas?

Yoda Knight 13:42 15 Apr 2005

When you say u can acess the network but cant see any partitions, I take it you mean you cant see the partitions from the 2nd pc ? Can you see the other pc from the laptop (else how do you know it on the network ?)?

If so copy from the laptop side to the other pc (if you can boot into dos I'm assuming you can still the partitions when on the laptop)

Sir Radfordin 13:53 15 Apr 2005

Have used "Barts boot disk" to get the thing to boot in DOS and connect to the network. This creates a virtual "Q:\" drive. I then seem unable to switch to any of the other drives (C/D) but can map drives to a server.

Can't browse back to the laptop from the server but can ping the IP address it has been given.

My knowledge of DOS based tricks isn't very good as I grew up in a post-DOS era!

Yoda Knight 13:59 15 Apr 2005

You would do well to learn DOS - very usefull when all else fails !

Saying that, Barts other BRILLIANT tool, BartPE, may well make it nearly completely redundant.

Give it a try )making sure you include the plugins for an assortment of recovery tools): click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone