Corrupt pc

jasonb79 16:08 25 Oct 2008

After downloading a corrupt file i have got viruses on my pc now which have corrupted my pc. I have tried numerous virus removers - Norton, AVG, MCafree aswell as window online virus remover and various other software. Still my pc is corrupt and has viruses below is list of problems with my pc:
On boot up Windows xp loads then screen goes blank for 5- 10 mins before completing boot up.
System performance is very slow and keeps coming up that page memory is low although no programs running
Internet explorer cookies unable to activate and constant adverts and pop ups.
My C drive(hard drive) is unable to be located through my computer aswell as my D drive (dvd drive) although both these are working and can access through other ways.

If anybody knows of anything i can do to rectify this be much helpfull but if cant have go take it to pc world to be sorted out!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:12 25 Oct 2008

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Pineman100 18:37 25 Oct 2008

Have you tried using System Restore to roll the computer back to a date/time before you downloaded the dodgy file?

If you can't get it to work in normal mode, try running it in Safe Mode.

woodchip 18:40 25 Oct 2008

At this time how many AV's have you loaded on your PC? you should only have one. You can run online scanners

birdface 18:43 25 Oct 2008

Try opening another user account as administrator.And use that account and see how you get on.

lofty29 19:36 25 Oct 2008

Have you checked for spyware and trojans as well

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie