Corrupt Outlook Express

bethie 16:19 08 Jul 2007

This computer is on windows xp and a dial-up connection. After talking extensively to a technician (we did a ping and I also tried restore in safe mode) she said the outlook express is corrupted and to try to reinstall it by going to download.com. I went and got the file but couldn't get it open or do anything. When it asked me where to PUT the file I was unsure and told it My Documents. On dialup it took 21/2 hours to download and then I couldn't get it to open or do anything. I need to know exactly where to send it and what to tell it after I get it to open. The tech says then it will automatically replace itself over the corrupt system. Is this so and can you advise me? This is actually my cousin's computer and she has NOT run her virus programs like she should have. Any help is greatly appreciated.

crosstrainer 16:29 08 Jul 2007

Restoring the computer to an earlier time:Click on Start>accessories>system tools>system restore..then choose "Restore my computer to an earlier time" then choose the most recent before the problem with outlook occured. Let the system restore and hopefully outlook will work. Might save you the trouble of downloading again. If this works, update the antivirus and run it using a complete scan option.

RicScott 16:30 08 Jul 2007

downloading thunderbird from: click here

It's only 5mb.

p;3 17:29 08 Jul 2007

would be useful to know what antivirus and other protection is (supposed to be)on the comp and when last fully updated?

may well be that an infection has gotten hold of it and needs to be rid of to enable it to function better

wee eddie 17:33 08 Jul 2007

Don't bother to open it yet.

If she has an Anti Virus, get her to update it and run a full scan. Also try to persuade her to empty the Recycle Bin and all the Internet Browsing History, (Remind her that she will have to remember all her old passwords after doing that) Then I would recommend De-fragmenting the Hard Disk.

It might be worth giving OE at whirl at this stage, just in case.

Next, could you tell us the exact name of the file you down loaded.

bethie 17:59 08 Jul 2007

Yes, she lives nearby and I can over and defrag,etc and run her virus programs and get the updates also. The file I need is Microsoft outlook express 5.06. I'm getting it at download.com I can't change her mail program as she needs to be on the same one I am on. I need to know where to send the file and what to tell it to do after it is downloaded when it gives me choices. I restored to three months prior and it didn't help. Her mail program is seriously screwed up. Thanks for helping. It's so nice to see people doing good on the net.

wee eddie 18:46 08 Jul 2007

C drive > Program Files > msimn.exe

p;3 21:10 08 Jul 2007

my suggestion for what it is worth now is ; will her comp still connect to the internet?if so may I suggest you/she grabs a tool called HJT from here

click here

get her to register with

click here

and get a log analysed to see just what the heck IS going on

post the log as a new topic in this section click here

and be aware of

click here
if her OE IS corrupt she will probably need to log into her web mail ; does she knwo how/where to do that?

I think that this may be a sensible thing to do at this point in time to sus out if and where the infection IS lurking

beeuuem 22:14 08 Jul 2007

From click here
This article describes how to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer 6 and Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP. You may have to do this if you are having problems with Internet Explorer or Outlook Express because of damaged files or missing registration information.
To repair or reinstall Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP, complete the following procedure while you are logged on as an administrator: 1. Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on your computer: a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.

Note that you may be prompted for the Windows XP or Windows XP Service Pack 1 installation media.

2. Test to determine if the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved, skip the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, continue to the next step.
3. Complete an in-place upgrade of Windows XP, a repair of Windows XP, or reinstall Windows XP. For additional information about how to complete an in-place upgrade or repair of Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
315341 How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
4. To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:

bethie 14:45 09 Jul 2007

Well, Wee Eddie, I followed all your advice and she is back on track. I told her my next visit will be to throttle her if she doesn't run her virus programs. Everyone thanks for all the help. It is much appreciated.

mutu26 23:22 07 Jun 2011

The problem has some resolutions. The next utility owns all necessary capabilities for help. It effectively works out problems related to lost outlook express data - http://www.repairoutlookexpressfolders.com

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache