Corrupt images

  Alan-Petrie 12:01 28 May 2009


I'm currently attempting to recover as much as possible of a friend’s hard drive which he accidently quick formatted. I have used a program called "digital image recovery" to scan the hard drive for photos and it has returned some 10,000 photos or images. Many of the photos are in perfect condition, however some when I attempt to open, they say the file is corrupt or not supported even though there are in .jpeg format. Can anyone recommend a program to attempt a repair or to force open the image so I can at least tell him what has been lost.

Thanks Alan

  BT 16:43 28 May 2009

Try PC Inspector from
click here

Just goes to reinforce yet again the futility of relying on a hard drive to store the only copies of your pictures. It costs pennies to archive them on CD or DVD.

  Technotiger 16:53 28 May 2009

Digital Image Recovery is a really great program, but I am pretty sure there is no way to repair any images which have become corrupt, though sometimes parts of a corrupted image can be rescued - but only the un-corrupted part of the image.

  Technotiger 16:57 28 May 2009

Having said that - you could try converting the corrupted images using this free program, you might, just might, then be able to rescue them ...
click here

  Alan-Petrie 18:21 28 May 2009

Thanks for the reply

First off I took a look at pc inspector, it doesn’t say it works for hard drives, having said that I will ask him if he wants me to search the memory card that the photos were originally on.

Secondly I tried the conversion technique with mixed results some images just failed to load other the converter just froze when it attempted to covert.

Thanks for the help so far.

  Technotiger 18:24 28 May 2009

Digital Image Recovery is grreat for recovering images from Memory Cards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?