Corrupt file - Neowin UXtheme Patcher

cowgirl66 19:35 04 May 2007

Hi, I've been trying to install a patch, 'Neowin UXtheme Patcher' because I want to give my Windows XP a face-lift and install some Vista features from click here I read about this tool recently in a reliable webcontent magazine, and they provided the address.

The problem is when I try to run the file it comes up with a message saying it is corrupted. I have tried from other sources too but still I get the same message. I have cancelled the File Protection box but nothing happns. I have found this file, 'uxtheme.dll' in the System32 folder. Does this mean that the file has downloaded successfully? I'm rather nervous about altering any more of the registy in order to get Vista themes in case it turns into a disaster.

Regards cowgirl66

baldtaco 19:59 04 May 2007

You should already have a uxtheme.dll file belonging to XP. It is that you replace with the patched version you download. So, rename the one you already have to something like uxtheme-old.dll and then paste in the new one.

I've seen/used several flavours of that patch, available for XP vanilla, SP1, and SP2. Be sure you have the correct one. Although I have used a multi-patch version, but that was a tad flakey, and needed doing again after each time I ever needed to run the sfc /scannow command.

Further compounding it is that some have had the problem of only being able to apply the switch in safe mode, as XP was reluctant to release the original file.

If the one you've downloaded is getting flagged as corrupt just grab another one. You can keep replacing it as many times as necessary without ill effects. It won't kick in 'till you've rebooted though. The new theme you've added should then work.

cowgirl66 20:04 04 May 2007

Hmmm, I think I will leave well alone as I've just had troubles with XP and had to reboot it. You sound like you know far more about how to cope with it than I ever will so I guess I'll wait until I can get the real thing.

Thanks though, your help is much appreciated.

Regards cowgirl66

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?