Corrupt File

birdface 00:32 23 Jul 2006
Answered

Hi, Grandaughter has a corrupt file on her computer,It will not let her download any new material to computer, As everything is going through corrupt file,Anybody know how to fix this without having to Re-format computer,Any help appreciated, Roy

User-312386 01:47 23 Jul 2006

click start>run and type sfc /scannow

pop in the XP disc

birdface 08:19 23 Jul 2006

Thanks for the advice Madboy,Unfortunately grandaughter on holiday at moment,Tried with out the disc ,and windows could not find sfc/scannow.Will try again if I can find XP Disc,

VoG II 08:52 23 Jul 2006

There is a space before the /

sfc /scannow

click here

birdface 09:15 23 Jul 2006

Thank's for getting back to me Vog, Will try as soon as I find disc, Many Thanks,Roy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:35 23 Jul 2006

If XP is preinstalled on the hard drive you maynot have (or need) an XP CD.

Just type in
sfc /scannow
It will ask for the CD if it needs it.
It should say checking with a progress bar in the middle of the screen when this has finished the all corrut / missing files will have been replaced.

birdface 18:24 23 Jul 2006

Thanks for getting back to me Fruit Bat.Worked just the way you said,but not knowing a lot about computers,I have been looking for a corrupt file, I think I should have been looking for a corrupt Host file.A file appears now and then, especially when I am trying to download something,with what appears to be my grandaughters name on it , but with different type symbol's on it and a few letters of her name,Any way of repairing a host file set up, Any help appreciated, Roy. Ran the sfc /scannow. So I presume those files were ok.

VoG II 18:42 23 Jul 2006

If it is a host file problem you need to enable viewing of hidden files and folders:

1. Click Start.
2. Click My Computer.
3. Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
4. Select the View Tab.
5. Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
6. Click Yes to confirm.
7. Uncheck the Hide file extensions for known file types.
8. Click OK.

Search for Hidden Files
By default, the Search companion does not search for hidden files. Because of this, you may be unable to find files, even though they exist on the drive.

To search for hidden or system files in Windows XP:

Click Start, click Search, click All files and folders, and then click More advanced options.

Click to select the Search hidden files and folders check boxes.

Then search for hosts (there is no file extension. It should be in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

and delete it.

Alternatively install a 'good' hosts click here

birdface 20:09 23 Jul 2006

Ok Vog,May be a bit over my head.I have opened show hidden files and folders,If I find the corrupt host file and delete it, will the computer still work properly, Unfortunately won't be able to continue untill to-morrow morning,Hope you dont mind if I get back to you iff I run into trouble. Roy

woodchip 22:07 23 Jul 2006

Are you sure it's corrupt or encrypted

birdface 22:59 23 Jul 2006

Hi Woodchip,Don't really know, it is supposed to come out as something like **stacee**, But it come's out looking something like, <!??c!?ee?> Some of the symbyl's are not on the keyboard so I cant copy them properly,Dont know if that helps you any,Any help welcome. Roy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?