Correct way to delete software

The Real Fizz 13:54 19 Jan 2006

Can anyone please tell me what the correct way to delete some software if it is not in Windows Add and Remove Programmes?
My Son has downloaded 'FlashGet' and have had problems ever since, so it needs to go!
Grateful for any advice
Thanks

john-232317 14:03 19 Jan 2006

Has it not put an uninstall file in start, all programs list ?

ShalafiStudios 14:06 19 Jan 2006

If you know where the software was installed then look in that folder. Generally speaking, each program has a program within itself called something like 'Uninstall.exe' or 'Unwise.exe' or something to this effect. Double click the program and it should remove your software.

If there are loads of files in the folder, press F3 and the find box should appear. Type 'Uninstall' into the box and if its there it'll appear, do as above and it should work.

An alternative is just to delete the folder.

Curio 14:10 19 Jan 2006

Then - start / Run / regedit /

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software

delete any reference to the software

The Real Fizz 14:22 19 Jan 2006

No uninstall even when pressing F3, will just delete the folder then although I thought perhaps this didnt clean it up properly!
Thanks for your help

Curio 14:33 19 Jan 2006

You are bound to have some bits and pieces left over. Download, install and run Crapcleaner. Click on the Issues icon to hoover out the Registry as well.

click here

Enoch 14:34 19 Jan 2006

It does not help the current situation BUT, from now on, teach your son to create a "System Restore point" before installing anything. This way, without an uninstall either in the control panel or within the programme, you can get your PC back to were it was prior.

The Real Fizz 14:36 19 Jan 2006

Excellent advice and so quick too, thanks!

Skills 14:38 19 Jan 2006

Heres a page about Flashget click here shows the reg entrys and the like it looks like a piece of spyware so id run a scan with your antispyware apps

Belatucadrus 14:53 19 Jan 2006

click here

click here

May be of use

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017