Correct procedure for deleting a dual boot

iqs 15:17 20 Oct 2008

Hi,
I decided this morning to remove the dual boot set up on a recent PC I built.
XP was on C and VISTA on J.

I booted XP ,and right clicked on J and selected format.This erased VISAT from J.

I then restarted the PC,hoping that it would boot straight into XP.It did not.I was still presented with the two boot option.
When XP was selected it would boot OK,when VISTA was selected,naturally it stated no OS found.

I tried to amend the boot.ini file,with out any success.Luckily I had a copy of the original dual boot ini file saved.

To get round this problem I am now re-installing XP on the drive that originally had VISTA on,only one HDD connected at this point.

The original HHD with XP ,I can not format or install to.

Will try to reformat after XP has installed on the VISTA GDD

This is a learning curve for me,so any help is appreciated .

Many thanks

iqs 15:22 20 Oct 2008

The original HDD with XP ,I can not format or install to.

Will try to reformat after XP has installed on the VISTA HDD

Technotiger 15:23 20 Oct 2008

I am only guessing but I would have thought that you would need to go into the BIOS of C: to set the Boot Order.

iqs 15:26 20 Oct 2008

Technotiger,

I tried that option,it still produced the same result.

I would of thought just deleting VISTA and amending the boot.ini file would of been enough???

Thanks for always helping

Technotiger 15:29 20 Oct 2008

Hmm, so it would appear to be still in the registry - try running click here in its default settings, and then re-start the PC.

iqs 15:35 20 Oct 2008

Technotiger,thanks

ambra4 15:41 20 Oct 2008

Right Click on My Computer on desktop – Properties – Click Advanced – Click Setting

in Start up and Recovery Section

In the top box Select the OS that you want to start “Microsoft Windows XP”

Untick the box next to “Time to Display List Of Operation Systems” Click OK and OK

again reboot computer and see if XP will boot up

iqs 15:47 20 Oct 2008

ambra4,will do.
But in the mean time,can someone explain how or what must be edited in the boot.ini file to remove the dual boot option please..Cheers

Zeppelyn 16:11 20 Oct 2008

Your getting this because when you installed Vista it automatically created its boot files on the system drive i.e. C Drive. You need to delete the folder called Bootand a file balled bootmgr in the root of your C drive. Next reboot PC with XP fisc and enter the recovery console and at the command prompt input Fixmbr and press enter. Also insert Fixboot and enter. Reboot and you should boot into XP without the drastic step of reinstalling.

iqs 16:43 20 Oct 2008

explains why it all went wrong Zeppelyn,a lesson learnt the hard way.Thanks

ashdav 18:08 20 Oct 2008

2 ways to restore XP boot up click here click here
Both work. I've used them myself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?