Cordless mouse problems / windows 7

Cara2 22:45 27 May 2010

First hint of a problem was with the mouse - which failed to have any impact on a link i.e. although it looks like it will close a prog when hovering over say the 'x' - it has no impact. (It does highlight item though). This is the same with most actions.

Then I had a problem with Kaspersky which showed databases were corrupt. (This I have fixed with the help of these forums).

However, the mouse problem has returned. In addition, if I try to drag a page, it do so 'jerkily' or not at all.

I can do these things, after a fashion, with my touch screen.

Any ideas please? Using Windows 7, mouse is cordless - I have tried new batteries.

I am Spartacus 22:54 27 May 2010

My mouse does that when it's reporting a poor signal, even though it's within a foot of the receiver. Try re-registering it, on mine you need to press a button on the receiver and then the mouse.

Cara2 23:11 27 May 2010

Thanks for reply. No, that didn't work.

Mouse moves the cursor around the page, but will not click on anything. Won't highlight anything either.

northumbria61 23:29 27 May 2010

Go to Device Manager - Mice & Other Pointing Devices - right click - select "Update Driver Software"

You may also like to go into Control Panel - Mouse and check settings.

Try these - Buttons Tab - Double Click Speed - set to FAST - Pointers Tab - Tick in both "Enable Pointer Shadow" & "Allow Themes to Change Mouse Pointers"- the Pointers Options Tab - FAST - tick in "Enhance Pointer Position" & "Hide Pointer While Typing" - then Wheel Tab - Vertical Scroll - I use 5 lines - Horizontal Scroll - I use 3 (personal choice here) then Properties - make sure YOUR mouse is there and Device is working properly.

Cara2 21:22 28 May 2010

Thanks Northunbria61 - checked it all out and it seemed okay.

However, did have another go at I am Spartacus
suggestion and that has done the trick!

Happy to reply mouse is now working. Thanks for all replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?