Copying From Website For Personal Use

Solartopi 21:19 18 Oct 2006

Hi Folks,

Here a Question that has been bugging me for so long...

If I Copy or Save anything from a website Am I infringing the copyright. Through that particular Website can I be identified and sued for Infringement.

Please put my mind at ease.

Thanks

Solartopi

woodchip 21:25 18 Oct 2006

Yes unless you get permission, But that's question that not many take notice of. Bit like video and TV who does not copy films etc to Video to look at after or even lent their friends

Jackcoms 21:27 18 Oct 2006

Yes and no.

The Copyright Licensing Agency has this to say click here

However, the British Library says click here

In other words, different websites have different rules. You need to establish what those rules are before copying or saving from websites.

Stuartli 21:32 18 Oct 2006

It is always wise to credit or name a particular website if you use any information provided.

In the case of this forum an actual link is, in reality, a credit.

VoG II 21:48 18 Oct 2006

If this is really for personal use then I cannot see any problem. If, however, you plan to distribute or publish all or part of that website then I think that you would be liable to copyright restrictions. Also I believe that it depends on the website - for example I plan to distribute the content of click here and my understanding is that I can do so freely.

Solartopi 22:24 18 Oct 2006

woodchip/Jackcoms/Stuartli/VoG™'

Thanks a lot for all your comments.

Yes, what I copy or save is only for personal use. Mostly things on computers. No, not to distribute or publish in any way what so ever. It remains in my computer for future reference.

Yes, some websites state what you can & not do.

"Through that particular Website can one be identified and sued for Infringement." This is another important Question.

Thanks

Solartopi

woodchip 22:27 18 Oct 2006

Think you will only find that If you started making money from other peoples work, is when problems start.

Forum Editor 23:32 18 Oct 2006

to store on your personal computer for personal use - and not to distribute, publish, or use for financial gain(in whole or in part) - then you're not infringing copyright owner's rights in any way.

The acid test is to ask yourself if, by making the copy, you have done something which might have resulted in the copyright holder missing out on a potential royalty payment. If the answer is 'yes' you have infringed the copyright.

The British library can give their consent to copying from their site because they own the copyright in the text content of the site itself - they aren't giving consent to copy from documents that are in their archive, as those are often covered by other peoples' copyright. If you want to make a copy of one of those documents you'll have to pay a fee first.

What you want to do is perfectly innocent, and doesn't deprive a copyright holder of a fee; nobody's going to knock on your door about that, although strictly in a technical sense you may be in fringing the copyright.

Kate B 23:52 18 Oct 2006

I think it's polite to ask even if it's not going to infringe copyright. I'd almost certainly say yes if someone wanted to use a picture from my website for wallpaper or something but I do like to be asked.

daisy2bell 09:44 19 Oct 2006

If in doubt, always ask. Just send them an email

Solartopi 22:20 25 Oct 2006

A BIG THANK YOU to all you kind folks for all your comments & Help

Solartopi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?