Copying programmes from old Comp to new one

haricot 14:33 14 Sep 2007

Dipstick here again and still useless when it comes to try and do anything remotely normal.

Having bought my new computer and a memory stick thing, how do I copy programme stuff from the old computer to the new one.
In easy steps please !

Thanks

Technotiger 14:40 14 Sep 2007

You can use the Flash Drive as with any other drive, ie, when plugged in you can click on it to open it, or you can drag items with the mouse and simply 'drop' them onto the 'sticks' icon. This will work with things like Folders that hold pictures etc, but with actual Programs you will need to re-install them on the new PC.

Technotiger 14:42 14 Sep 2007

Or, you could Clone the hard drive of the old PC and then Restore it on the new PC by using a program such as Acronis True Image. This would transfer everything in one go.

Technotiger 14:45 14 Sep 2007

Or, you could add the hard drive from the old PC to the new PC as a Slave drive, or put it in a USB Enclosure and attach it to the new PC, you would then have access to everything on the old hard drive.

Hope I am not confusing you - there are several different ways to do what you want.

wee eddie 14:51 14 Sep 2007

Programs: you will not be able to transfer any Programs from one to another. You will have to Download from an original CD or Web Site.

Stuff: as Technotiger says, easy. > If you Right Click the File you want to put on the Stick, one of the options should be "Send To" and the Stick should appear there if it is plugged in. Remember to use the Remove Hardware Button among the System Tools (bottom right of your Screen) before you remove the Stick otherwise it may become corrupted.

Technotiger 14:58 14 Sep 2007

Hi, as a matter of interest, I also use a Flash Drive but have never used the Remove Hardware Button ever - as long as the drive is not reading/writing when removed from usb slot it should not be a problem, has certainly never been a problem for me.
I also use Cards from my camera/camcorder in a card-reader, but again have never used the Remove Hardware Button, never had problems.

Quiet Life 15:06 14 Sep 2007

Agree with Technotiger never a problem with me either. I think it is just a safety feature to stop the removal before reading/writing has stopped.

wee eddie 15:09 14 Sep 2007

I only lost one of the several that I have.

wee eddie 15:17 14 Sep 2007

You will need to Clear it of Information before passing the PC on.

There is another way to do what you want and keep the old Hard Drive.

Buy an "Enclosure" (from Amazon, Dabs, Maplin etc)~ this is an empty box (about £15) that turns your old Hard Drive into an "External Hard Drive" which you can then plug into the new PC and use it as if it were part of the new PC. It's basically a Screwdriver Job with the instruction sheet in your other hand. Quite simple, no electronics knowledge necessary.

haricot 14:17 17 Sep 2007

Thanks very much chaps. sorry for the delay in responding but I went "off air" for a while not having my E Mail Settings sorted properly.All due to this this "Vista Malarky".

All now sorted and I am grateful for all your advice and help. I'll have a go and see what I can do as a result.

Regards to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?