copying music from vinyl to pc

filthyphil 16:03 18 Jan 2007

I have got a programm for transferring music from vinyl to pc (LP Recorder). my question is what cables do i need to connect the two and do i need any special cards or anything suchlikes?

dukeboxhero 16:20 18 Jan 2007

all you need is 3.5 mm. male to male stereo lead.
one end to computer line in the other to your stereo head phone socket

mole44 16:47 18 Jan 2007

if your turntable doesn`t have a built in pre amp you`ll need one in between the turntable and the computer to boost the turntables cartridge output.i used a terratec preamp to do all my vinyl/cassettes/tape to tape.total cost with magix software to chop up the recordes pl`s £60.00 approx but i saves a bundle £1500 by doing it.hope this helps

Batch 17:12 18 Jan 2007
  Deputy Dog 17:29 18 Jan 2007

PC Advisor (and other places) have advertised a USB turntable for about £100, I have seen and heard one used. It is great and depending upon the number of LPs you want not a bad cost.

GaT7 17:50 18 Jan 2007

Also, note that it's preferrable to connect the turntable's line out/tape out/output socket to your PC/laptop's soundcard line-in socket, rather than its headphone socket (as dukeboxhero suggests) - better sound quality they say.

One tutorial (click here) actually recommends not to do it at all - "You can't use the headphone socket, because its fully amplified and your sound card can easily be blown."

My turntable doesn't have a line out so I had to use the headphone socket (see Batch's link) - didn't want to shell out on a preamp. If you do this too just make sure not to raise the turntable/player's volume too high. You can always amplify the volume of the recorded sound files later using your program or something like MP3Gain (click here). G

P.S. Anyone please feel free to correct me if wrong as I'm still a bit of a novice with these things!

megapack 17:53 18 Jan 2007

I recently brought a USB turntable from click here It's a Numark model, and I have been very impressed with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?