Copying home made DVD's on XP

Stressed Mum 16:24 24 Feb 2008

I have never had to try and do this before and have come across a very frustrating problem. I have a D drive and E drive. Purchased Dell Dimension about 3 years ago asking for facilities to copy cd and dvds. But now that I have come around to needing the facility I find I can't do it. I put my home made DVD into drive D and I get message that says you need to insert disc. I can put the DVD in drive E and it plays ok. I can put a CD in both drives with results. Very annoying - can anyone suggest anything please? I have been into device manager and reinstalled and rebooted. Thanks. SM :(

Terry Brown 16:32 24 Feb 2008

To copy a CD from windows is very easy, just send the file to yor hard drive and windows will prepare it for you. If you need to copy a DVD you will need a program like Nero Express, or similar DVD burning software. The following link may help. click here

Terry

Stressed Mum 16:38 24 Feb 2008

I have already tried the simple copy over but it says cannot find specified path?? I thought I'd be able to copy the DVD over to a folder then burn from the folder - I do have DVD and CD burning software. I also thought, that I could do it directly from one disc to other (d to E) without having to transfer it all to the PC first? Don't have a problem copying CD's - just the DVD's.

Joe R 16:40 24 Feb 2008

Stressed Mum,

it sounds like you may have a dvd burner, (drive E) and a cd burner, (drive D).

The program below will allow you to copy your dvd's, and is also free.

click here

Stressed Mum 17:01 24 Feb 2008

Joe R - thanks for that - just downloaded it - looks frightening. Is this something you're used to? So many icons and options, just don't know where to start. I'll have to do some homework.... no quick way I presume?

Joe R 17:08 24 Feb 2008

Stressed Mum,

I cross posted with you on my last posting, and did not realise you already have dvd burning software.
Can I ask which program it is.?

Stressed Mum 17:12 24 Feb 2008

When I say using - I haven't actually used it - but do have Power DVD (just go that with new camcorder) and Cyberlink with Dell and Sonic with Dell. also, just download DeepBurner (from another post)

Stressed Mum 17:16 24 Feb 2008

I think the best way forward for me is to simply copy the DVD from E drive to 'some'where' on PC THEN copy/burn it onto new DVD. These are simple home movies I have just copied over from VHS to DVD and now want to recopy them for other members of the family. Nothing complicated here - thought it would be a simple task??

brundle 17:17 24 Feb 2008

IMGBurn makes it simple; click here

Stressed Mum 17:19 24 Feb 2008

Hi brundle. Nice to chat again!! Going to download that right now...

Stressed Mum 17:40 24 Feb 2008

Nope! Getting nowhere here - downloaded the lot and it's not helping me. Looks like I need to pay for an upgrade to the standard version. (but not absoloutely sure) Simply doesn't like me. surely there must be a way of taking the information from the DVD and keeping it until I am ready to burn it - thought WM would do this??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone