Copying files from Search results

Minkey1 13:20 05 Jan 2007

Afternoon all

For work I'm trying to easily extract about 300 pdf files from a couple of external drives. The drives have in excess of 20000 files on them, so I thought if I searched for *.pdf files, I could then just select all and copy them to my machine.

Whether using Start/Search, or searching on the root of the drive in Windows Explorer, the pdf files I want appear fine. If I select all, the Copy icon lights up, I select the destination - but nothing happens.

It does work if I select 1 file and copy it.

The files are buried in folders so going through the drives folder by folder is a non starter.

Does anyone know why copying files displayed in the Search results doesn't work ?

Searching on MS KB doesn't come up with anything. I've seen a couple of utilities on Google which say they can copy/move files in Search results. Would I be better using a full blown desktop search app from Google, MS, Yahoo etc ?

Any help would be appreciated as this will be a nightmare if I can't easily copy them.

Regards

Mike

€dstowe 14:09 05 Jan 2007

If it works with one file then perhaps you are overwhelming it by the number that you are trying to copy over at one time. Try doing a smaller number at each go.

Minkey1 14:59 05 Jan 2007

20 or so at a time - worked a treat ! Thanks €dstowe, I'm obliged to you.

Best wishes

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?