Copying DVDs

Alf58 19:15 17 May 2003

I've just bought a new computer with a DVD writer. I picked up one of my DVD videos just to see what was involved in copying them when it became apparent it is not possible! Source media 7.5 Gigs, capacity of recordable media 4.7 Gigs. How are you supposed to copy DVDs? Am I missing something? Any ideas? I wish I hadnt shelled out the extra for the accursed DVD writer now. HELP!

soy 19:26 17 May 2003

I don't think DVD Writers are mean't to be used for Copying DVD Movies. They are supposed to be used for data backup, home-made movie burning purposes.

Think of them as a higher capacity version of a CD-ROM. You wouldn't go out and buy software just to be able to copy them right? You use them for back-up!

Anywayz, DVD movies have really good copyright protection on them and copying them would be very difficult.

Alf58 19:39 17 May 2003

I thought DVD writers were for recording all kinds of DVD data including movies. Aren't free standing DVD recorders now in the shops? Dont they copy DVD movies? Maybe I am just totally confused by the whole issue.

powerless 19:43 17 May 2003
  -pops- 19:50 17 May 2003

Standalone DVD burners are a sort of up to date replacement for the video recorder for recording television programs and recording your home movies etc. Like a video recorder, DVD burners do not successfully copy commercial DVDs or even commercial VHS tapes, both usually having quite comprehensive copy protection.

Brian

soy 19:56 17 May 2003

Yes, DVD recorders and writers are all available. They are supposed to be used for writing data onto DVD media. They aren't designed to specifically copy movies from other DVDs.

You should remove the idea 'A dvd writer is used to copy DVD movies' out of your head, and think 'A dvd writer is used to burn Data onto DVD media.

You have a tool that enables you to burn onto a higher capicity disk. A zip disk is like a higher capacity floppy. A DVD burner is just like a higher capacity CD-ROM burner (Different technology I know).

Confab 20:43 17 May 2003

Research is the name of the game. A DVD will hold 4.7Gb but I'm sure commercial DVDs are dual layer that means they hold 4.7Gb of date per layer so you won't be able to copy the DVD as it is. However there is lots of software out there that will compress your commercially bought DVD down to 4.7GB. In fact, you can compress a DVD to fit on to a CD if you want to. You just need to do a bit of research.

As for the copywrite issue - well that at the moment is between you and your conscience.

Regards

-pops- 20:56 17 May 2003

"As for the copywrite issue - well that at the moment is between you and your conscience." - and whether you know how to overcome the Macrovision copy protection;-))

A commercial DVD squashed into a CD will not be of the best quality!!

BBez 21:08 17 May 2003

data needs converting to SVCD quality which is about the same as old video recordings. As you're allowed 1 backup of any copyrighted material you own click here then click on GUIDES followed by DVD Backup Guides

-pops- 21:13 17 May 2003

How does your "you're allowed 1 backup of any copyrighted material" fit with the copying restrictions placed by Macrovision?

Please have a read of Powerless' click here (above).

hugh-265156 21:14 17 May 2003

"As you're allowed 1 backup of any copyrighted material you own" this is not true.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?