Copying a dvd in Windows Media Player

thumbscrew 18:50 05 Oct 2017

Can anyone tell me how to copy a dvd in Windows Media Player? I regularly do this with cds by ripping to library and burning, but this doesn't work in WMP.

difarn 18:15 06 Oct 2017

I would be surprised if you get any advice on this as both ripping cds and DVDs is illegal in the UK.

thumbscrew 20:36 06 Oct 2017

As I explained difarn, it wasn't a commercial disc. It was a recording of a hearing made in a hospital by hospital staff, of my wife and myself who were part of an NHS meeting. These meetings are recorded and a copy of the proceedings are given to the attendees, but for reasons unknown the hospital staff recorded the audio on a dvd disc. As it wouldn't play on our home audio equipment, I decided to transfer it to a blank cd. All legal and above board amigo and that's what this thread is all about.

thumbscrew 21:28 06 Oct 2017

So please can I have the (incorrectly) censored earlier posts restored please?

thumbscrew 22:01 06 Oct 2017

Even though I fully explained the above in my initial posts, it seems the censors within failed to digest it. For those with suspicious minds, I repeat that 'twas a private/non-commercial dvd I was copying.

wee eddie 22:47 06 Oct 2017

It is probable that no one is sure how to do it. As far as I know that facility is not available in WMP. You will need to select some other software. I am unable to advise you.

rdave13 23:21 06 Oct 2017

Windows 10 WMP doesn't have the codecs for DVD. Try Ashampoo's free burning studio.

click here and scroll down to Ashampoo® Burning Studio 2017 free. Play around with it to see what it can do. As for 'free' the price is that you'll be lightly spammed with their offers but you can always unsubscribe at any time. Last Burning Studio I bought was the 14 version but I'm using less and less optical disks. See how you go and let us know.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:05 07 Oct 2017

Explore the disk and tell is what file extensions are there

Audio files can be burn't to a DVD disc its surprising how many mp3s can be stored on a DVD disc.

thumbscrew 22:27 07 Oct 2017

Thanks everyone, found this on Youtube and it worked

thumbscrew 22:31 07 Oct 2017
  difarn 23:55 07 Oct 2017

I believe that worked because it was a non-commercial DVD. Good you have it sorted.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?