Copying data from lappy HDD

Tim1964 17:59 09 May 2008

Hi,

I have a laptop that appears to have died (won't switch on) and I need to get the data off the HDD. What is the simplest (cheapest) method of connecting the 2.5" drive to my desktop without opening up the desktop?

I will only be doing this once so a portable solution such as an enclosure or caddy seems a bit overkill.

Is there a cable that plugs into the back of the (removed) lappy HDD to conect by USB for e.g. ?

Of course it will need some way of powering it up still wont it.

Thanks.

GaT7 18:16 09 May 2008

Free (though may be a bit tedious), if laptop has a rewriteable optical drive, or you have a USB flash/pen drive.

99p for crossover cable click here, if both PC & laptop have a network port. G

wee eddie 18:25 09 May 2008

1. There is a USB cable that has an IDE connection on the other end. Cost about £15 - £20.

2. Enclosures ~ These are containers designed to hold a Hard Drive and connect it to your PC via the USB or Firewire Port. The advantage being that once you have transferred the Information to your PC, you can format the old Drive and you have an External Drive to use for your Back-ups. For an ex-laptop hard Drive I think that you must buy a 2.5" Enclosure. Cost £15 - £20.

Eric10 18:27 09 May 2008

click here for a 2.5" hard drive enclosure at just over £10.00 including carriage.

GaT7 18:29 09 May 2008

Well, I just found another inexpensive method.....

2.5" Laptop to 3.5"Desktop Hard Drive IDE Adaptors starting at £1.74 delivered
click here, with a PC molex connector for power.

Didn't know they existed. G

Tim1964 18:33 09 May 2008

Thanks guys,

It looks like it might be the enclosure method as the lappy does not have a CDR drive and at the mo' it doesn't power up. As the enclosures seem about the same price as the cables it does seem to have more options....

Time to break out the credit card.

Tim1964 18:35 09 May 2008

Crossbow,

A super cheap find there, but I'd rather not have to open up the desktop as it's new(ish) and I don't want to mess around with anything 'internal'

GaT7 18:39 09 May 2008

Another 2.5" USB caddy (assuming it's an IDE drive) for £7.27 delivered click here (choose Super Saver delivery). G

Tim1964 23:46 18 May 2008

Got the one from ebuyer (as above) and did the job a treat.

It was delivered on the day they said it would be as well, a bit surprised the postie just put it through the letterbox though and I didn't have to sign for it. At least it didn't mean a trip to the sorting office to pick it up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?