Copying audio tracks onto hard drive

derbytrader 10:26 20 Jul 2003

I backed up a lot of music onto CD using Nero prior to reformatting our PC. I want to restore these audio files back to the hard drive. I have tried using windows explorer but the files listed on my D drive (the CD) are just 1KB files and seem only to be links. How do I get hold of the actual individual audio files and copy them back to the hard drive.

powerless 10:29 20 Jul 2003

Use Windows Media Player.

Realoneplayer from click here

BillEmm 11:22 20 Jul 2003

I'm afraid.

If all you have on the CD is shortcuts, ie pointers to where the main files are, and you have deleted the original music files, then you are out of luck - they have gone with the reformat.

Nero has only 'copied' the address of the files, not the actual files.

Sorry, but the message is to use a proper backup/copy facility for important data.

Bill

Confab 13:11 20 Jul 2003

If you saved them as WAV files then you will only see the 1k "data" file in explorer. View the CD within nero as you should see the tracks. Just drag and drop them from the CD back to your Hard Drive. If this doesn't work post back.

Confab 13:23 20 Jul 2003

Just tried it on my pc and guess what? It didn't work. If you've created a CD that's playable in a CD player then it looks like you are going to have to re-rip it!

Maybe you should have saved the files as MP3's on to your CD

leo49 13:30 20 Jul 2003

If you burnt the tracks to CDR as an audio CD,you can't just drag and drop the files back to the HDD in Explorer - you'll only be dragging the shortcuts[as stated above]. To get them back onto your HDD, the tracks have to be re-extracted [ripped]either as MP3 or .wav files.

Regards

leo49 13:32 20 Jul 2003

Sorry for duplication- took too long typing.

graham√ 17:34 20 Jul 2003

Test

Magik ®© 17:42 20 Jul 2003

one more test.......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?