copying all e-mails into a Document

fulvik 14:31 11 Jun 2006

Hallo, this is my first post. I've tried reading some previous posts on this subject but they are all too difficult for me. Not knowing any terminology I'll try to explain what I need as clearly as I can.

I don't want any back up copies of the Outlook folders, I only want to copy part of my e-mails in a Document where I can store them and read them if I need too. I read a post where it said that I can drag them from Outlook and drop them in a Word Document. That seemed very simple but it just does not work. Is there anything I am doing wrong?

I also tried something rather more difficult for me, that is access the Outlook folder by showing the hidden files and folders and following C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\LocalSettings\ApplicationData\Microsoft\Outlook. Could not find Outlook.

Basically I just want to free some space in Outlook without having to delete my e-mails.

I hope you'll be able to help me, please make it as simple as you possibly can. I have spent all morning trying and I am rather discouraged.

Thank you. Bye for now.

Noldi 14:39 11 Jun 2006

Right click your inbox icon

Select properties - Auto archive

Clean out items - check

Move items to -browse

Noldi

fulvik 15:14 11 Jun 2006

Hi Noldi, thank u for yr answer. I don't have an Auto archive option in properties. What now?

VoG II 15:18 11 Jun 2006

Which version of Outlook, or is it Outlook Express?

fulvik 15:23 11 Jun 2006

Hi Vog, yes it is OE, sorry I didn't say

Noldi 15:33 11 Jun 2006

OK
File - Folder - properties for inbox

or File - Archive

or Tools - options - other - Auto archive

Noldi

fulvik 15:54 11 Jun 2006

ok. In tools-options-other- I don't have auto archive but I have Archive in folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\Proprietario\Impostazioni locali\Dati applicazioni\Identities\{E224495E-7909-4079-B980-3A8906DA9BE1}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

I have found this file but it shows .dbx extensions which need to be read with what?

in File I don't have Archive options

in file-Folder-properties for In-box I don't have any options.

So I'm back at the start. Any other suggestions?

Noldi 17:26 11 Jun 2006

Does it not have a browse option to select where you can save the files. click here

Sorry I dont have any other suggestions im not great with MS office except Excel.

Noldi

pj123 17:46 11 Jun 2006

I don't save many emails but I got some instructions from a PCA Forum member via email which I needed to keep.

All I did was highlight what I wanted to keep in the email then Edit, Copy. Open a blank Word document and then Edit, Paste and then save it whereever you keep your documents.

fulvik 18:29 11 Jun 2006

Thank you all for yr help. I've realized that I probably have an ancient version of Outlook Express 'cause I cannot do any of the things you are suggesting.

PJ123 If I select all messages it won't let me edit and copy. I can only edit copy one at the time and that takes too long.

I read the training lessons in Microsoft Office Centre and my Outlook does not look like the examples provided.

thanks anyway.

fulvik 18:37 11 Jun 2006

Great. Look what I've just found. An article which explains it all! I am glad 'cause I thought it was me.

Article is by Tom Koch for Microsoft

The differences
Outlook and Outlook Express were designed by different programming teams for different audiences with different needs. Outlook Express was developed as part of Internet Explorer with the home user in mind while Outlook was developed as part of Microsoft Office with the corporate user in mind. Outlook Express is a basic Internet mail program that is part of Internet Explorer and Windows. Outlook is a full-featured personal information manager that is available as a part of Microsoft Office and also as a stand-alone program.

Outlook Express handles not only Internet mail but also Internet news, a feature that Outlook does not natively possess. But Outlook has a host of features that Outlook Express does not have, such as a calendar, a task list, a journal, and automatic backup into archive files. The address book in Outlook is a very sophisticated contact management system unlike the simple address book used by Outlook Express. Outlook can be programmed using Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) but Outlook Express cannot. Outlook is highly interoperable and so can be used in combination with Word, for example, to perform mail-merge in e-mail or to automate outgoing mail messages. Outlook Express does not interact with other programs in this way except for creating a new mail message when a program requests it.

Thanks again. I'll be getting Outlook I think :))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires