This copy of Windows is not genuine

bumpkin 14:37 13 Feb 2015
Answered

I did a clean install of Win7 yesterday with no problems. This morning I cloned it to another HDD internal using XXclone to have as a backup. If I boot from the backup drive it says not genuine. How can this be, I know it is genuine and have been using it for years. If I boot from the other drive then it is fine. I thought a clone was an exact copy.

lotvic 15:18 13 Feb 2015

As you say, a clone is an exact copy so that's a mystery...

You could check your clean install to make sure that is activated and updated etc. Then start again and reclone it and see if same happens again.

Did you clone the whole Drive or just the C:\ partition? W7 usually has a small 10-20 mb system partition before the C:\ so that might have something to do with it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:44 13 Feb 2015

Windows is a pain!

Thought you had realised that by now :0)

Windows is seeing the hardware change of a different HDD

so many changes and it throws a wobbly, you will be able to active OK with the phone call to MSoft.

bumpkin 16:36 13 Feb 2015

Thanks for the replies, I did clone the whole drive. I was expecting it ask for validation when I first did the instal as it is a new machine with lots of different hardware. Not a problem validating it if required but it did not ask but the clone does. That is the puzzling bit. I will clone it again and see what happens.

bumpkin 17:32 13 Feb 2015

Just cloned it again and still the same. I entered the Key and it said it was not valid giving the error 0xC004C008. It does not matter a great deal anyway but I am curious as to why this should happen.

bumpkin 18:35 13 Feb 2015
Answer

I have cloned it again using Macrium and now works fine whichever drive I boot from, very odd. I will tick it but welcome any comments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?