Copy a non msdos disc

Bass99 21:22 13 Nov 2003

I have a 8 year old computerised (not a pc driven) work machine, which has and is still giving me stirling service. The floppy disc backup is a killer.

Neither Windows or msdos will opperate with this disc format, so I have been using a dos program on my old 486 for backup, this is the only reason I keep the 486. This program will not run with Windows ME. The 486 monitor is on its last legs, where do I go?

Why does a dos based program that works with Widows 3.11 msdos 6.2, not work with ME, and can it be made to do so?

Or is there a disc copy system available that does a straight (non formated disc) copy?

Or do I buy a new monitor for the 486?

Advice please.

Rtus 21:44 13 Nov 2003

This may or may not help .

click here

Daedrus 21:50 13 Nov 2003

Check out WinImage, it creates an image file of the floppy.

click here

Diemmess 21:58 13 Nov 2003

The monitor question should be much easier--- it should be replaceable by any standard CRT preferably without expensive gizmos or pedigree.

I can't think of a reason why a colour monitor should not work in a mono environment and to check first, can you borrow someone's to try?

If you were to look for a suitable mono monitor you might have to search, or pay a premium price.

Peter 22:11 13 Nov 2003

You could try making a small, separate partition on your hard disk and loading a version of MS DOS, which supports your disk copying, on it. Using a boot manager you should be able to choose to boot to this MS DOS partition or your normal Windows partition, at will, at boot up.

I believe that Partition Magic provides these features.

Peter.

Peter 13:35 14 Nov 2003

^

Bass99 19:20 14 Nov 2003

Thank you for your sugestions.

I have tried WinImage, it does not work on this format. I would contact them but they don't give a contact.

I like the idea of loading up in dos, it's the way my 486 loads with autoexec loading Windows. I feel I have enough years and knowledge with computers to be at that dangerouse stage. When I update I might experiment with this one, the gamble of this one going down is to big. If or when it does, it is a new computer imediatly, it is more than a hobby, an essential work tool.

My 486 is colour, so it looks as if a new monitor is the way I am going.

Thank you for your advice, it is appreciated.

Bass99

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires