copy a cd

zebbydog 14:10 23 Feb 2003

I have a cd Travelmanager 2000 whitch i bought about 2 years ago. You have to install to the hard drive then put the cd in every time you want to use it.

It has now got a good scratch on it and will not run every time. on the license agreement it says you can make one copy for archiving purposes.

I have tried nero and clone cd to make a copy but no good.
I HAVE E-MAILED THE COMPANY FOR INFO AND THEY SAY I CANNOT MAKE A COPY AS THIS IS ILLEGAL.

Any reply to this and how to make a copy if you think it is legal please

AndySD 14:22 23 Feb 2003

Its more than likely its the scratch that is cuasing nero and clone cd to fail. There are products that may polish out the scratch. Try one first.

Joffyjon 15:41 23 Feb 2003

You can clean/buff out scrathes on a cd with tooth paste.

Get the cd nice and wet......apply some tooth paste to the cd and gently polish the cd in a circular motion as if you were following the grooves on a vinyl record. Go round the disk a few times, wash the paste off with lots of water and then dry with a soft cloth, i use tissue paper then try again.

zebbydog 16:26 23 Feb 2003

Have tried to repair cd but scratch is very deep, I have a mate with the same programe cd and it will not copy because there is some sort off block on the cd.I would be ok if you did not have to put the cd in every time but the manufacturers say this is not possible.

I suppose that is you cannot share it, but if i allowed 1 copy surely you should be able to do it.

Wak 16:51 23 Feb 2003

Zebbydog, You say that the CD will not run every time?? But it does run sometimes???
Is it possible to insert the Cd, go into Windows Explorer and drag a complete copy (when it decides to work) into another folder on the hard drive??
If you can do that, then maybe you could use a Virtual drive program to operate the CD solely from the hard drive.
I could be wrong but it's worth a try.
You then may be able to clone it from the hard drive on to a new CDR disc.

zebbydog 17:24 23 Feb 2003

I do not realy understand what you mean but the program is already on the hard drive but you need the disk to run it.

zebbydog 17:50 16 Mar 2003

Travelmanager sent me a replacement cd as a good will gesture as they say it is still illegal to make a copy.

I am now happy, but surely if it says on the liecence you can make 1 copy for arcive purpose this is wrong.

thanks again for all your help. Zebby

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?