Cooling fan needed.

  the hick 11:35 22 Oct 2006

The fan on my graphics card is getting noisy, needs replacing. It is called a 'Blue Orb', about 50mm diameter, with plastic push-pin fitting to the card, I last replaced it 4 years ago. However, Maplins don't stock this one any longer, and neither do PC World. Anyone know of any source of these, or is a new graphics card needed? Any help much appreciated, thank-you.

  jakimo 11:45 22 Oct 2006
  jaffa43 11:45 22 Oct 2006

Similar thing happened to a friend of mine.He couldn't find a replacement fan either as they had ceased production.He very carefully removed the fan from the graphics card then removed the small sticky label from the centre of the fan and put about three drops of olive oil (using a pin) onto the shaft of the fan,left it to "soak in" for a while then re-assembled it.The fan was super quiet afterwards and he has only had to repeat this process twice in the past 18 months.It may work for you too,heres hoping.

  Brirev 13:14 22 Oct 2006

This may not help, but you could get a PCI card fan and place it next to the graphics card and that might supply sufficient cooling?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?