Cooling fan, fix or replace?

square eyes 07:36 11 May 2007

Hi,

My pc is about 4 and a half years old now i've been noticing a vibrating noise coming from the case fan. It lasts a few seconds to a minute then goes when it heats up. Obviously i dont wasnt to wait for it to breakdown, so do i simply buy a new fan of the same spec or could it just be a bit of dirt and need cleaning, is it common for fans to do this? i guess it is but wanted to make sure before i buy.

Thanks

Migwell 07:44 11 May 2007

Have a look first, try and give it a clean but if it makes no difference just go and buy a new one they don't cost a lot. Try maplins or even dare I say it PC World. Both sell new fans for less than £5.00. Not worth going to a lot of bother.

STREETWORK 07:52 11 May 2007

Drop a bit of light machine oil on the centre spindle...

jack 07:52 11 May 2007

A Good Clean- fluff and dust removal ,then lift the foil seal and a drop of light oil[3 in 1 or sewing machine -it has been known even motor lub oil a bit heavy but will do in a fix -NOT WD 40 however - this is not a lubritant]
Give it a whirl then replace only if you have to.

[email protected] 13:26 11 May 2007

i would advise great care with any oil, i just bought a new akasa fan for £3 you cant hear it.
click here

Stuartli 13:53 11 May 2007

A small drop or two of light oil doesn't do any harm and does a lot of good, but make sure that the fan is properly sealed against any oil leakage afterwards.

Stuartli 13:54 11 May 2007

I use a product called EasyGrease (it's one of the "dry" lubricants similar to that used on motorbike chains, but works well for a multitude of applications).

Totally-braindead 14:30 11 May 2007

Replace it they are cheap enough.

square eyes 14:41 11 May 2007

thanks for the replies, i'll have a go at getting it off

cheers

Gongoozler 14:47 11 May 2007

Most CPU cooling fans are held to the heatsink fins by 4 self-tapping screws. Simply undo the screws then you can replace the fan with a similarly sized one. While the fan is off remove any dust and fluff that has accumulated in the fins.

[email protected] 14:49 11 May 2007

i read somewhere that a standard fan is usually good for 30000/50000 hours of normal use in good conditions, if your's are getting near that i fear servicing them may only buy you a little more time as they wont last forever. theres some here for less than 50p! i wouldnt waste my time
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?