Cookies - Might I get problems if I remove them?

Guady 12:58 03 Nov 2006

I have recently installed McAfee Total Protection and it has alerted me to the fact that I am collecting many Cookies! It has put some in Quarantine (I think) but having looked in the Cookies folder, I see that I have hundreds - some of them dating back to when I got my PC 3 or so years ago. My question is: - If I delete all the Cookies in the folder, am I likely to run into difficulties when I access sites? It's not really the Privacy aspect that bothers me, so much as all the files "clogging up" the PC.
What does everyone think - Delete them all, Leave them All where they are - or go through and try to identify which I might want?

octal 13:05 03 Nov 2006

No, it won't do any harm deleting them, it might even speed things up a bit if there are old redundant cookies in there. Just be aware if you let the computer automatically sign you into sites you might lose that facility until you re-sign in again.

Diemmess 13:08 03 Nov 2006

As octal

I deliberately wipe them off by regular use of CCleaner. Yes it may slow access to a favourite site, but in return there is no lingering doubbt about which are genuine and any that might be sinister.

Totally-braindead 13:22 03 Nov 2006

I'm with the others here. The only problem I have ever had with deleting cookies is having to log back in a website using my name and email address. I've never had any problem as such deleting any cookies. And I delete them every couple of weeks and have done for years.

anskyber 13:30 03 Nov 2006

Yes ditto to that. I have ZoneAlarm which is set up to clear cookies and temporary internet files at closedown each day.

It does however allow me to "save" the ones I want so that I do not have to re-enter log ins and so on.

Belatucadrus 15:21 03 Nov 2006

CCleaner allows you to set what cookies to keep, mine leaves PCAdvisor and a few other carefully selected ones well alone. All others get cleared as I usually run CCleaner once a week.

ACOLYTE 15:25 03 Nov 2006

I use Ccleaner and it a good bit of kit i also use cookie wall to monitor cookies that come on the pc,i get notified about all cookies that have been received,then i can delete straight away and it block's that cookie from coming on my pc again,well worth having IMO.

woodchip 15:50 03 Nov 2006

I delete all mine each time I shut down

Guady 16:20 03 Nov 2006

Thanks for your help - it's always good to hear what others think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?