Cookies Deleted

ened 06:57 08 May 2006

I'm not even sure if this is a problem but it has been worrying me all night as I hate unexplained occurences.
I put my computer on yesterday morning and visited this Forum and did some browsing.
I normally leave the machine on all day after the first switch on.
In the afternoon I tried to log-on to the Forum again and it asked me for my user name and password.

I haven't had to do this since the new format was introduced.
I then tried other sites, where logging in is normally automatic, to discover I needed to re-enter the info. into all of them.

I suspect my cookies have been deleted but I am nearly certain I didn't do it.

I have run antivirus, Spybot and Adaware which all showed a clean bill of health.

I need to understand how this can have happened.

Diodorus Siculus 07:06 08 May 2006

Do you have ccleaner or similar installed and if so did you run it?

Running the system clean up tool may also do it.

ened 07:08 08 May 2006

I don't use it and did no maintenance to the machine yesterday.

In fact as far as I can remember all I did yesterday was browse and burn some photos to a dvd.

Diodorus Siculus 07:10 08 May 2006

Oh well, one of those mysteries! Maybe when you were looking at stuff like the system performance you inadvertently made some changes somewhere...

€dstowe 07:17 08 May 2006

My father said the other day:

There's logic in computing but not in computers.

ened 07:18 08 May 2006

Could be, could well be and my memory isn't what it used to be. But I am usually extremely careful as I didn't want the inconvenience of having to re-enter everything (especially as I had to search for some of the info).

Unless someone can suggest an explanation I shall have to put it down to noe of life's little mysteries.

I just hope it isn't the tip of a more serious iceberg!

ened 07:23 08 May 2006

Sorry: that response was written before €dstowe.

UncleP 12:38 08 May 2006

Some days ago I had to log on manually to this site on three or four occasions. It didn't happen with other sites, and eventually the problem went away. I couldn't find anything wrong - hadn't changed anything relevant as far as I am aware - and wrote it off as either a corrupted cookie (leaves a bad taste in the mouth!) or something external to my computer.

Not much help, I'm afraid.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017