Cookie Saving Problem

bartonside 18:22 14 Apr 2009

Recently, I cleared out all the dead internet files, etc., including cookies, to begin again with a clean slate. In Internet Options I have Privacy set to Accept All Cookies but it's not working for some sites and I am tired of having to type in username and password. It retains Yahoo Messenger, but not MSN Messenger, for example. Can anyone suggest what I can do to rectify this situation?

johndrew 19:41 14 Apr 2009

You don`t say which browser you use, but there are add-ons for most which will save your logon details for many sites. I use Secure Login click here with Firefox.

bartonside 22:16 14 Apr 2009

I use the latest version of Internet Explorer and my ISP is AOL. I've never used Firefox and, not being a techie, am reluctant to play around with new programmes if there may be some sort of clash between Firefox and what I have now.

johndrew 11:48 15 Apr 2009

There will be no `clash`. Firefox runs happily with IE and will even open IE as a screen within itself for those sites that dislike other browsers.

Your ISP will have no bearing on which browser you use.

We all have to start somewhere with PCs so I understand your reluctance. However if you install Firefox you do not need to uninstall IE. All it means is an extra icon on your desktop and a bit more disk space (very little) occupied.

If you want to look for add-ons for IE you could look click here or click here or click here. Most appear to be for IE7 but may well work with IE8 (the latest version). There is also a helpful blog about add-ons for IE7 and how to manage them here click here

birdface 12:03 15 Apr 2009

Have you got remember me and remember my password ticked in Messenger.I have all my cookies removed automatically when closing IE.

bartonside 12:34 18 Apr 2009

It's really a mystery why IE8 is refusing to store cookies. I will perhaps look at Firefox but can anyone suggest why I am having this trouble? Also, Messenger keeps shutting down and telling me I have logged in on another machine. No, I haven't!

User-1229748 17:40 18 Apr 2009

when you get back logged in to messenger i would change your password

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?