Converting Windows Mail files to Outlook Express

jtt 13:33 16 Jun 2008

After over a year of using Vista, I've decided to go back to Windows XP. The only thing I'm unsure about is how do I convert my Windows Mail files to Outlook Express format?

BurrWalnut 16:28 16 Jun 2008

This is how the mail boxes are copied/created:

Copy the .eml files (not other files such as winmail.fol) to the XP machine (an external device will also work as will a shared network folder). Create a folder in Outlook Express (File > New > Folder named, say, Old Inbox), which will initially receive the copied files. Close Outlook Express. Now open both Outlook Express and Windows Explorer and arrange the windows so that they both can be seen.

Select (highlight) all the .eml files and drag them (copy and paste will not work) to Outlook Express, either to the new folder name in the left pane or to the folder contents in right pane. Now open Old Inbox and drag the contents to your usual Inbox.

Note: The normal location of Windows Mail boxes is the hidden folder C:\Users\{user name}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Local Folders then Inbox, Sent Items, etc. Individual mail items have an extension of .eml.

jtt 12:48 17 Jun 2008

Thanks BurrWalnut, I will try that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone