converting to wi fi

monteman 23:44 10 Sep 2005

my pc is a wired system.is there any way i could convert it to unwired?.

Taff36 09:48 11 Sep 2005

A little more information please! Operating System (XP, 2000, ME etc), are you on Broadband (Cable or ADSL) and what is it you want to do?

The short answer is you can wireless enable a PC but it depends what you`ve got and what you want to do. If it`s just connect wirelessly to the internet that`s fairly easy or do you want to set up a wireless network with another computer for example?

Forum Editor 09:53 11 Sep 2005

If you mean 'Can I have an unwired internet connection?' then yes, you can. You'll need to buy a wireless router/modem combination (I assume you have a broadband connection), and a wireless adapter for your computer. You'll then be able to use the machine anywhere in the house, but think carefully before splashing out - do you really need a wireless connection if you only have one computer?

People normally buy wireless equipment because they have more than one machine, and they want to use a laptop, or another computer, at some remote point - away from the modem location. Alternatively (and usually in addition) they want to network the computers together, so they can share files, etc.

With only one machine there doesn't seem much point in buying wireless equipment, unless you plan to move the computer round the house. If that's your intention, a wireless router and wireless network card will do the job very well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?