converting video files

drwho03 13:58 30 Dec 2006

when converting video files with "dvd santa" after about 20 minutes my computer shuts down can anybody help please

Bagsey 15:21 30 Dec 2006

You have not given enough information to allow a guess at the problem. What computer are you using, Hard disk size, Operating System XP or ???. How much free space on your hard disk etc etc.
Have you had look at this forum click here

drwho03 15:43 30 Dec 2006

my computer is FUJITSU SIEMENS my os is xp home, i have about 35gb of 100 gb left on my hard drive, this problem has only just started happening so i think i might have a bug somewhere

brundle 15:49 30 Dec 2006

Take the side off the PC and check how much dust has been drawn into the system - video conversion is hard work for a CPU and you may find it is getting too hot and shutting down to prevent damage.
click here

drwho03 15:58 30 Dec 2006

i agree that it might be getting to hot but i am unsure or a bit weary about taking any covers off my laptop

brundle 16:10 30 Dec 2006

Sorry I was assuming it was a desktop. See if something like SpeedFan can detect the CPU temp - click here
and check out the specs for the CPU itself; click here

Check your HD for problems too - manufacturer's diagnostic; click here

drwho03 18:03 30 Dec 2006

thanks for your input,i am actually on a pipelay vessel on the west coast of africa and do not have download access and iam also on shift (dont tell no one)i shall try and have a look at the back of the computer tonight after shift

eedcam 18:11 30 Dec 2006

I you have'nt done so a defrag may help

Bagsey 15:40 31 Dec 2006

Just a thought, is your computer using Fat32 or NTFS. If it is Fat32 that could be the problem as there is file size limit in the format. Please check and post back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?