Converting video

Thewagz 15:02 06 Feb 2008

Can some wize sage tell me were I can identify the various video formats. What do I get when I record to DVD from TV and what do I need to play/ edit it on my PC? What are MPEG 1, 2,3,4.
Many thanks to anyone pointing me in the right direction. Thewagz

lofty29 16:02 06 Feb 2008

Hi I am no whizz kid, but I assume you have a tv card in your pc, in addition you will need conversion/editing software I use intervideo dvd creator,and nero. Be warned unless you have a very high end pc it is a time consuming process, and needs a lot of hard drive space. Normal dvd is mpeg2 or for vcd mpeg1. There are a lot of free sites offering advice on the web. Buy yourself some cheap dvd's initially as your are bound to have some coasters until you get the hang of it. or record initially to dvdwr then if its ok copy to dvdr. I am sure that you will get far better advise than this, but it can give a lot of satisfaction. Oh by the way you can only record for your own use, copywrite rules.

lofty29 16:11 06 Feb 2008

ps have a look at click here

tullie 16:17 06 Feb 2008

Try Google

Thewagz 17:10 06 Feb 2008

Many thanks for all answers. My prblem is that I have copied old video and digital camcorder pictures onto DVD thro' a Samsung DVD recorder. My PC which is running Vista premium, does not recognise these discs. I've spent hours looking at various converting programs, but as I do not know the format of my recordings or what to convert them too, I cannot edit.
Again thanks!!! but I'm still lost

Demora 17:25 06 Feb 2008

BTW have you finalised thje disks in the dvd recorder. This is something often overlooked. (done it myself.....Doh)

I think Vista has most of the codecs in Media Player (?)

D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone