Converting Psion 3c files to PC use

wilsenda 20:12 13 Apr 2007

I'm trying to transfer all my Psion 3c data to my PC, and using PsiWin 2.3.3 have seen the transfer go through - but the data can't be accessed on the PC until converted, and there seems to be no way of doing this! Any help will be gratefully received.

I am Spartacus 20:16 13 Apr 2007

Doesn't PsiWin have a converter? I'm pretty certain I used that version of PsiWin but with a Psion 5.

mocha 10:16 14 Apr 2007

Try this link click here and scroll down too 'How do I convert my data to another format?'

wilsenda 15:49 14 Apr 2007

Yes, there is a converter with PsiWin, but there's no way it can be used, eg "Browse for required file" can't be done. This is particularly frustrating because the window also has "Convert now", which can't be used because there's nothing to convert! I'm pretty new to computers, and this has me baffled.
Thanks for replies so far. I have tried the suggested link, but it didn't help.

woodchip 15:53 14 Apr 2007

You ether brows to the file or open it with the program, It as to see a file before it can convert it

wilsenda 15:51 15 Apr 2007

Yes, true - but every time I try to open a file I get the message "Windows needs to know the program which created it in order to open this file" (or words to that effect) but cannot then find the program (PsiWin 2.3.3) although it is there on my hard disc. What's going on?

I am Spartacus 15:59 15 Apr 2007

I've just dug out my manual and bear in mind it's for a Psion 5 and it states:

'Drag and Drop files between the Series 5 and the PC in the same way that you would between PC Drives and they will be automatically converted to the appropriate file format at the same time'

I believe that you can start up the converter on your PC and then drop the files you want to convert onto it. However that's not mentioned in the manual and I'm relying on a slightly aging memory.

I am Spartacus 19:19 15 Apr 2007

I've just found that I have the following some/most of which I believe are for a Psion 3:

Manual for a Series 3a (not sure what the differences are between that and a 3c)

PsiWin 2 User Manual

A Psion 3 Link (RS232 Serial Interface). Although I'm not exactly sure what this does.

What could be a power cord for a Series 3.

If you can make use of them then click the yellow envelope next to my name and send me your details and I'll happily post them to you (no charge).

I was ripped off when I bought a supposedly immaculate Psion 5 on ebay. It turned out that it was well used and had these bits in the box.

wilsenda 20:36 16 Apr 2007

I have sent an email to I Am Spartacus, but would welcome any other help from you wizards out there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone