Converting downloaded movies to play on home DVD

Babs93 15:51 26 Feb 2008

Hi all,
I am new to downloading movies and have not been able to play them on my home DVD player after burning them on my laptop.
I have tried a few programmes that were free downloads and all seem to convert the movie (it takes ages)and proceeds to burn and finish.
My home DVD states that there is either no disc or unable to read disc.
I have tried to find answers on the net but I'm getting really confused now.
Do I need something called 'CODECS'? Or will they be installed in my laptop already?
The 5 movies I have downloaded are all AVI formats.
I have wasted 5 DVD-R discs already through experimenting.
Can anyone please help??
If anyone can help, can they be as basic as possible as all the internet sites assume you have a degree in IT. Thanks

tullie 17:47 26 Feb 2008

What have you used to convert from AVI to DVD Format?

Babs93 19:49 26 Feb 2008

Hi Tullie,

I have used Sothink Movie DVD player,
AVS Video tools trial - this includes the AVS Video converter and AVS DVD to go,
Power2go 4,
Realplayer - now deleted in anger!

And many other programmes that I have deleted and cannot remember the names - sorry.
I'm sure it's something simple that I'm just not doing as they all play from the disc on the computer but not on the DVD home player.

Thanks for taking an interest, any suggestions?

Rigga 20:32 26 Feb 2008

Surely the site you legally downloaded the movie from will have full and detailed instructions on how to burn to DVD if they allow this in their T&C's?

R.

dukeboxhero 21:21 26 Feb 2008

Babs93 you have to convert your avi files to dvd files your AVS Video converter should be able to do this, if you go to Convert video between almost any formats: on the avs site

click here
then click on demo

lofty29 08:14 27 Feb 2008

Babs93
Just a tip Get yourself a few dvdwr's so that if you have a trial session you can save making coasters, and when they are ok you can copy to dvdr

john bunyan 20:26 27 Feb 2008

Babs93. When you finish burning you need to "finalise" the disc so your DVD player can "see" it. Otherwise it can only be played on the laptop. There should be an option to finalise somewhere in the software.

Babs93 21:47 27 Feb 2008

Thanks for your assistance.

I have finalised a disc through one of the software programmes and it didn't play - only through the laptop. The other attempts were automatically burnt and I assume 'finalised' - as the disc was automatically ejected at the end.
I will re-check the 'coasters' to make sure they are finalised.
I will return....
Thanks again to all.

ashdav 23:02 27 Feb 2008

Easiest thing to do is to buy a DVD player that supports DivX and/or Xvid.
They will play AVI files from a CD just by copying them without converting them to DVD.
Making a DVD is not easy and will take some time.Hours in some cases.
click here as a taster to how easy it is (being sarcastic)

sapphireking 03:19 29 Feb 2008

You can try Aimersoft DVD Creator, it can convert all popular video formats (AVI, MP4, MPG, MPEG, 3GP, WMV, ASF, RM, RMVB, DAT, MOV, FLV, etc) to DVD and burn DVD movie played on portable and home DVD players, that's very good for me, you can free download it from its official site:
click here

Acx 04:35 29 Feb 2008

Some things to note

You say
'have tried a few programmes that were free downloads and all seem to convert the movie (it takes ages)and proceeds to burn and finish.'

So this may not be your problem. After all your laptop play's them back, therefore there may be nothing wrong with the recodings.

Record to a DVD-RW, if it doesnt work you can always reuse the RW (if you don't finalize it)

How old is the DVD player you are trying to play them on?

Don't use cheap DVD media, they work on some DVD players but not all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone