Convert Pen drive to NTFS ?

rawprawn 11:02 18 Aug 2006

I have a 2 GB pen drive, can I convert it from FAT to NTFS without any problems?

jimv7 11:15 18 Aug 2006

Why would you want to, you will be restricting yourself to win 2000 and xp only, me and 98 will not read ntfs files.

Ade_1 11:55 18 Aug 2006

Go to Command Prompt - type in
convert driveletter:/FS:NTFS

Where it says driveletter exchange that for your pen drive letter when its plugged into your computer.

So for example, for me it would be -
convert E:/FS:NTFS

Aidan

€dstowe 12:04 18 Aug 2006

Don't rely on being able to do this. Some pen drives will not even allow reformatting at all.

rodriguez 12:07 18 Aug 2006

Flash memory such as pen drives and memory cards should really be in FAT or FAT32 anyway because of how the files are stored. In fact some digital cameras will only accept cards formatted in FAT and not FAT32.

rawprawn 12:21 18 Aug 2006

Thanks for the replies, I want to change to NTFS so that I can Zip and password protect the files.However I don't want to damage the pen drive. It is a 2 GB Exigo which I thought was password protected but is not. However I have a lot of finance data that I need to carry on it and I don't wnt to ruin it.

rawprawn 13:45 18 Aug 2006

I tried as you suggested and I get this message in the cmd prompt " not recognised as internal or external command.operable program or batch file.
Any ideas?

VoG II 13:53 18 Aug 2006

Space needed.

CONVERT driveletter: /FS:NTFS

GaT7 14:07 18 Aug 2006

"....I want to change to NTFS so that I can Zip and password protect the files...."

I use the free Cryptainer LE click here to lockup sensitive data on my PC (incl flash drive).

It offers only 25Mb-sized 'vaults' though (some of the paid-for versions provide upto 250Gb size vaults).

Cryptainer PE click here, could be more useful to you but costs £16-17. G

DieSse 15:31 18 Aug 2006

Try AxCrypt to encrypt and protect your files - it's free click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:58 18 Aug 2006

Encryptors / Security:-
AxCrypt click here
Easycrypto deluxe click here
Powercrypt 2000 click here
Hide Folders click here
Folderlock click here
CD/DVD Lock click here
Hide Files & Folders click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?