Convert PC Base to Tower Unit

mxyzptlk 11:43 14 Feb 2008

I want to move a PC to a new location, but the desk isn't large enough front to back to accommodate a base unit and keyboard.

Is it possible to operate the pc with the base unit on it's side, like a tower unit and, if so, what would the issues be?

we have them either way at work with no problems, we dont use the dvd drives at work though this i imagine could cause a problem.

Gongoozler 12:04 14 Feb 2008

Most, if not all, dvd/cd drives have lugs in the tray to hold the disk in place if you use it on it's side, but I wouldn't want to try it. If this is a long term plan, then you could transfer all the components to a new case. The job is within the capabilities of a competent diyer, and need not be too expensive click here.

keef66 12:06 14 Feb 2008

Most desktops say they can be used in either position. You just have to be careful inserting discs into a CD drve when it's vertical.

Conversely, several places I visit have tower units lying down, and that doesn't seem to be a problem either.

Just make sure you're not blocking any cooling vents / intakes / fans.

Belatucadrus 12:08 14 Feb 2008

Assuming the box is stable on its end it should be OK, most CD/DVD drive shelves have locating lugs for the disk and will work OK upright.
Do remember to make sure the PSU and fan end up at the top or you could end up trapping the hot air in the box and cooking things.

interzone55 12:17 14 Feb 2008

Some desktop cases have enough room to turn the optical drive round so it's still the right way up, if not you may just have to keep a finger on the CD/DVDs as you push the tray back in, as despite the claims above about lugs to hold the disks I've just check a few in my office and they're not there. Possibly shave about a 1/10th of a penny doing away with them...

oldbeefer2 13:22 14 Feb 2008

The DVD drives in the Dells we have at work function quite satisfactorily either way.

woodchip 13:52 14 Feb 2008

Why not mount it under the desk!

keef66 13:58 14 Feb 2008

if you do put it under the desk, try to keep it clear of the floor; they are pretty effective at sucking up dust and fluff. Also make sure it's not likely to be kicked or rammed by a wheeled office chair; hard drives aren't fond of this kind of abuse.

woodchip 14:00 14 Feb 2008

You need Brackets to underside of desk

Belatucadrus 15:09 14 Feb 2008

I also checked, six different drives, all different makes, all had them. Look for a small raised hooked section at the rim of the CD area on the tray, usually two front and two back, just enough to hold the disk in situ when mounted vertically.
Some old ones used to have an offset swivel part that you could rotate to ensure safe location, those have all gone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone