convert to ntfs from fat32 ?

mec13 22:28 02 Nov 2003

'Time computer' with pre-loaded win xp home edt. fat 32 files system
question is, having just purchased this machine plus a recovery disc costing ?60, it seems that everyone is saying convert to 'ntfs' file system.
The machine is quite 'high speck' in other departments(athlon 2,600+,160gyb hard drive etc)
The change over is a one way process only, no going back to fat 32. Being a novice, is it worth it converting to 'ntfs' and is that rather expensive recovery disc still going to work, as it has had to in the past. The machine (touch wood) is working fine once again on I presume fat 32 files system, or do I start playing and have a bash at this 'ntfs conversion' keep the answers simple please

Quiller. 22:43 02 Nov 2003

I personally would leave it as it is. Do you take the gamble that your ?60 recovery disk might not work for a slight increase in file distribution.?

powerless 22:47 02 Nov 2003

Info: click here

Recommendation: Leave it alone, your system is fine so why risk the chance of messing it up? If you do convert than just backup your files just in case.

spuds 22:55 02 Nov 2003

If your computer is working fine, and you are satisfied,then as previously suggested, leave well alone.

The Lights Are On 23:01 02 Nov 2003

You could email 'Time' & ask for their opinion, otherwise despite the advantages of NTFS I would be inclined as above & leave it alone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone